Puck in the new forest

JasonUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I call this one 'missing' from a series called Puck. Comments welcome.

48.jpg

Thank you

I don't like the high contrast, mid-day lighting. I'd like to see it shot closer to sunrise or sunset, on a foggy morning; sometime with less harsh lighting. With most other aspects of the image I'd say you did a good job. The series sounds interesting.

Overexposure seems to e a common problem in my pics.

Is it because of the harsh lighting conditions that they are taken?
Or to do with the way I have the camera set up?

I am going to try and use RAW file types in future to give me some control post shoot. Would I be able to resolve this problem with an image such as this if it was shot in RAW?

On the other hand, does it not give it a mystical feel?

Is it because of the harsh lighting conditions that they are taken?
I'd say so. You've got very bright sun there and shadows as well. You've exposed it so that the parts in shadow look fine. But because they need more exposure than the very bright parts the very bright parts are over exposed. If you'd have taken it when the sun was not so strong the bright parts wouldn't be so bright. Erm, I'm having a bad typing day by the way so I probably sound extremely thick. :oops: :mrgreen:
If you'd have taken it when there was cloud in the sky it would have helped (clouds are the worlds biggest diffusers), or as Matt said, at a different time of the day. You could also reflect light into the shadows so that they aren't so dark. That would mean the difference in exposure needed for the bright parts and the shadows wouldn't be so great. You can use a bed sheet or something as a massive reflector if you want. The colour of the sheet will also be reflected. So an orange one will make the image warmer and a blue one will make it feel colder.

For a mystical feel I think you need a crappy day. A day that doesn't look so hot, bright and happy. Early morning mist or rain would be great.

ksmattfish said:
I don't like the ... mid-day lighting. I'd like to see it shot closer to sunrise or sunset, on a foggy morning...

I gotta agree. Early or late-day lighting would really make this shot. Nice composition, but the full sun doesn't give the mood you're looking for.... there's no "drama."

As for overexposure, it's more of a matter of exposing for your subject. Come in close to get your reading, then back off to finish composing. You'll get it soon I'm sure.

Nice effort!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back