Pulling teeth

I didn't intend to respond but what the heQQ! since this will probably be my last post.
Perhaps you should look at your own responses...IMHO you come across as a know-it-all and God's gift to photography.
Your reaction to comments has typically been "well I'll take my pics and go home!" There definitely seems to be a chip on your shoulder.
I guess I'm one of the culprits who wander off the threads a lot but as MD says it has been fun and I've learned an awful lot and up until now it seemed as though we were all having fun.
So yes you are overly sensitive and so am I I suppose but I do try to consider others feelings and I certainly don't try to represent myself as anything other than a novice enjoying himself.
I'll take this opportunity to thank all the members who've contributed to this site and helped me considerably...keep at it folks!

mrsid99 said:
I didn't intend to respond but what the heQQ! since this will probably be my last post.
Perhaps you should look at your own responses...IMHO you come across as a know-it-all and God's gift to photography.
Your reaction to comments has typically been "well I'll take my pics and go home!" There definitely seems to be a chip on your shoulder.
I guess I'm one of the culprits who wander off the threads a lot but as MD says it has been fun and I've learned an awful lot and up until now it seemed as though we were all having fun.
So yes you are overly sensitive and so am I I suppose but I do try to consider others feelings and I certainly don't try to represent myself as anything other than a novice enjoying himself.
I'll take this opportunity to thank all the members who've contributed to this site and helped me considerably...keep at it folks!

Wow!
That's a real shame you feel that way. I thought what I was bringing up was just a genuine concern. I figured it was best to bring my thoughts to the table and deal with it like an adult rather than pout, leave and not return. I do like this forum and like I said, all it's members.
I definitely don't see myself as a "know-it-all". If I appear that way, well, so-be -it. I would encourage you to visit ADI Pro photo Forum, Outdoor Eye's, Canon photography forum and read some posts there. I don't believe my postings of feedback are different in anyway. Those sites have a much larger membership with the exception of ADI and there are a lot of pro's that far exceed my experience. I do not pretend to know more than I actually do. I'm not going to change the way I give feedback.
With that said, I hope you re-evaluate your decision to leave the forum. It seems like a small issue to do such a thing but that is your choice.

Mayhaps if some of you are looking for more substantial feedback on your photographic efforts you might ask for it differently.

Since there is not presently a formal "Critique" forum it would seem one has several choices:

1- Post on another board that does heavy critiques.
2- Request specifically what it is you want to know. Posting a pic and asking "whatcha think?" hardly makes me feel like the poster is serious about wanting any kind of constructive criticism. "What do you think of the composition/exposure/subject/etc." gives people a better idea what you're looking for. Otherwise you tend to get gushy, "love it!" type responses. If you don't like the answers, maybe you aren't asking the right questions.
3- Use the Suggestion forum to request a more formal review/comment forum here. Chase has always been more than willing to do whatever it took to keep this board growing.

Being a busy kinda guy I probably don't post as much here as I should. Personally, a lot of the pics posted here do nothing for me at all. I'm sure most of mine likewise strike others here. Rather than blast a pic I don't like (because sometimes I couldn't tell you why I don't like it) I usually just don't comment.

When I do, it's generally in the form of a question- "I wonder what this would have looked like if you had...", or "did you try it with...". Conk did this the other day with the Spider Sunrise pics I posted. I think he asked "I wonder what that would look like with water drops on the web?" (or close to that)

Now those were pretty crappy shots. I knew that, but posted them anyway because I was responding to Sid's comment on some previous pics where he was tugging my chain. While I wasn't looking to a serious critique, Conk's comment was valid & tastefully presented. Should the opportunity present itself I'll probably give it a try.

Anyway, this is starting to ramble so I'll close it and say go look in the Photos forum to see an example of how I'd ask for a serious critique. By now means is it the only way, but it seems to work for me.

Jim

Hey Conk, Sorry you're not getting as much out of this forum as you'd hoped.
I for one don't critique peoples work that much because A, I know my work isn't "all that and a bag o' chips" and B, I don't want to discourage anyone. I suppose in not doing so (critiquing) I may not be helping the photographer improve his/her skills. I'll try to critique a little more.
As far as responding to all the other types of posts I find I either don't have the time (after trying to catch up with all the new posts) or I don't have anything new to say. Guess I'll try to add my two cents a little more often...or I guess since I'm a canuk my one and a half cents.
Btw Conk, this post sure got a lot of replies and it managed to stay pretty much on it's original topic. I'm sure I'm as surprised as you are :lol:
Hope you'll be stickin' around.
Hope you'll be stickin' around too Sid.

In the interests of harmony in the forum and not wanting to defeat some of the great work that Chase et al have put into it I was seriously considering just staying away.
However, it has been pointed out to me that I shouldn't let a semi-literate whining egotist run me off, so....expect more off-subject crass remarks and bad puns folks!
Forgive me Chase?

I agree chaseman ..... excuse me but my english is maybe not so good but i don't see the point of calling somebody that way... or is it me ..... :(

well, i tried to stay out of this during the last few post, but in my humble opinion, i think this thread should be locked and perhaps deleted ... i think its leaving a bad taste in the mouths of people that would perhaps like to join this forum ...

everybody has their differences and nobody can agree on the same thing all the time ... lets get back to basics and learn from each other ... what da u say? ... i'll make cookies :D

I think to keep this community the way it is with that "friendly" manner I talked about previously, we need to stick by a few common mature ground rules, one being to treat others and their opinions with respect.

Name calling and the like is what makes those other forums I also talked about the not so cool places they are.
I think the mods and other members would agree with me in saying that thats not the way we want this place to be.
That goes for all parties involved.
I hope that we can turn this thread into something positive whereby people are free to voice their opinions without having insults thrown. That said, it should be that way in all threads, whether you are giving advice, critiquing someone's work or giving an opinion which differs to someone else's.

man, now i know what it feels like to come from a broken home.

sid, your thoughts are valid, well put together, and well-taken. but there IS NO NEED for comments about other people directly. please dude, i like you, dont be like the kids i went to high school with.

conk, please if it cant be said in a way that IS GUARANTEED to not cause negative remarks, please pm myself or chase, manda, or twist with it first. i like you too, Dont let your opinions get in the way of everybody elses good times.

now, who's up for a lap dance?

md

This thread has mad e me want to question yall about something I've been feeling of late. When I post i generally try to get into detail and say what I see wrong w/ it. But lately I've been feeling like the forum jerk who just bashes everyone's stuff. Does anyone else feel this way?

P.S. - I'm not real big on the whole page makin thing, but would it be possible to put something into the name area of a person that woudl say what kind of critique they're lookin ta get. Like just say serious, gushy, have fun looking, stuff like that? Just an idea that might help those lookin for more serious stuff.

tr0gd0o0r said:
This thread has mad e me want to question yall about something I've been feeling of late. When I post i generally try to get into detail and say what I see wrong w/ it. But lately I've been feeling like the forum jerk who just bashes everyone's stuff. Does anyone else feel this way?

P.S. - I'm not real big on the whole page makin thing, but would it be possible to put something into the name area of a person that woudl say what kind of critique they're lookin ta get. Like just say serious, gushy, have fun looking, stuff like that? Just an idea that might help those lookin for more serious stuff.

i havent felt that way at all dude. keep at it! thats why this board is here anyways!!!

oh voodoo? not me dude, i got a third nipple that would freak everyone out...but im in the south, i can find someone to dance...:)

md

Most reactions

Back