Photos NOT OK to edit
It's that season...

#1 Atlas

white_pumpkin_1_11x14.jpg

#2 On the Cutting Block

pumpkin_1x2.jpg

#3 When Harry Met Sally
pumpkin_when_we_first_met_2x3.jpg

Without the titles they're very boring. I like #3 title + image lol.

Me too! Love the contrast between the two pumpkins.

I like the first one the best. The second does nothing for me.

LOVE THEM ALL, your pictures always have perfect lighting, can you share us your secrets behind this beautiful lighting :roll:?

Something about the first one doesn't look sharp..is that just a shallow DOF or a processing that was applied?

Either way, nice work on the series.

Something about the first one doesn't look sharp..is that just a shallow DOF or a processing that was applied?
It's probably the processing. I did a 15%, 30 width gaussian blur on a copied layer which makes the white 'glow' a bit. Sometimes when I size this down to web-size it softens the image some. Pixel peeping, it's quite sharp. It was shot at f/14 on a 50mm f/1.4 and I wasn't terribly close, so the DOF actually extends through the whole subject.

These pumpkins are all miniatures click here for a size comparison (my photo, but it's a portrait, not 'general'). I think the largest one (in the second shot) is maybe 4.5" in diameter and that's being generous.

Either way, nice work on the series.
Thanks, Big Mike :)
LOVE THEM ALL, your pictures always have perfect lighting, can you share us your secrets behind this beautiful lighting :roll:?
Thanks. Trying to remember... the first two were definitely only shot with a single light, camera left, with just the reflector mount, no umbrella/softbox. It was angled in such a way that the spill from the far side stretched just beyond the side of the pumpkin and a black board to keep flare from the camera.

The third one was shot with a 580exII and the genesis 200 aimed directly at the ceiling with a white foamcore board placed in front of the cutting board out of frame and angled to bounce some of the light back.

These are mostly guesses. I wrote stuff down but it's at home and currently, I am not. I was trying a lot of 'bare flash' or 'snoot only' shots that night, though, to try and get different looks and see where I needed to put gobos and reflectors to deal with the room conditions.

I like the first one the best. The second does nothing for me.
Thanks for your feedback :)

Me too! Love the contrast between the two pumpkins.
Thanks. The stems really gave them a lot of personality. My wife is sure I buy stuff at the grocery store with photogenic-tendencies first. (Don't tell her, but she's right.)

I generally like to think that images stand independent of their titles, but indeed, these are really just pictures of pumpkins, less for the artistic bent and more for the technical. I'm glad you enjoyed #3.

Those are the cutest pumpkins I've even seen. I love the lighting in the first. The 3rd is hilarious... Great images.

Nice series! Love the lighting in the first one, and that curly thing is so funky!

My fave is the third one: unusual depiction, nice stark contrast of the coloured pumpkins and the dark background, and of course that funny title!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back