PUP TENT

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
gzZBx%5rSi2v7rIMNdWqSQ_thumb_a135_Fotor.jpg

Pup Tent ~ In actuality, a "dog blind" for the hiding of a retriever during waterfowl hunting from stationary positions. There are a number of such dog blinds offered by most of the companies producing layout style blinds for waterfowl hunters. My retriever MAC is seen using the blind pictured during a recent training session

Most recently, my style of hunting did not really require the use of a portable "pop up" dog blind and given that, I really had not bothered training my retrievers to hunt out of one. I was waiting for a friend to meet me at my gun club last Friday night and had some time on my hands and a dog blind in my truck, so bored, I decided to use the time for a session to train my retrievers in dog blind usage.

The training for the use of a dog blind is simply an extension of the "kennel up" or "crate" command if one's retrievers have previously been crate trained. I started close in and let the retriever see me throw an edible reward into the dog blind and then gave the retriever (MAC) the verbal command "KENNEL UP", the same command I use to send him into his crate as previously trained. Once in the blind, MAC was given the known commands "DOWN" and "STAY". MAC'S compliance with those previously known commands was immediately met compliance, followed by edible reward and verbal praise to reinforce the new skill being trained.

By the time my buddy arrived to meet me at the gun club, both MAC and TRAD were readily entering the dog blind on command from a remote distance of 30 yards from the position of the blind. Once in the blind the dog can turn around, lay down, and watch for approaching birds from his / her position comfortably laying on the dry floor of the dog blind. I had both dogs running retrieves upon my issue of the send command, from their location in the blind, bringing me the tossed training bumper, and returning to the blind to wait for the next retrieve. The dogs seemed to love this new "game" and all the rewards that came with it.

The blind pictured herein is made with "grassing loops" to add native vegetation collected from the area being hunted, to further help hide both the profile of the blind from approaching waterfowl, and of course, the retriever. With a retriever as light colored as MAC, it is always good to have the dog well hidden and motionless when waterfowl are working to one's decoys, the dog blind lends itself toward doing just that.

These dog blinds are made to fold up to a compact size, are relatively lightweight, are rugged to stand up to the rigors of hunting conditions, and they provide the dog a place of hiding whilst giving old Rover some protection from the elements when the weather gets nasty, those often being the conditions we seek for the best waterfowl hunts.

A new skill taught to my personal retrievers, and one that I will likely train all of the retrievers I work with going forward.

Consider incorporating "dog blind" training into your retriever's repertoire of waterfowl hunting related skill-sets. You will be glad you did.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Last edited:
Thats what mine look like in the am after we wake up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back