Purchased a used lens. Maybe not such a hot idea!

Sonoma

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a used Sigma 170-500 5-6.3 APO from a very reputable dealer, so I have 30 days to return it for a full refund, minus shipping of course. I just wanted some professional opinions on a couple of pictures I took. I think they look very soft; wife says they're fine.
I know this is no Canon "L" lens and I wasn't expecting it to be even in the same class, but I guess I thought it should be capable of taking better pics than I seem to be getting.
The following pics were taken on a tripod at a distance of about 50', focal length of 425mm, at f11, and ISO 400. They have been cropped some and have had "blacks" and "contrast" increased.

Thanks!

a6c809c7-02a8-4df3-a702-492bf6769268_zpsorbye1ye.jpg

2508fb06-341d-4a4d-b6e4-d3f2b197df9b_zpsq1bfvycu.jpg

Poor/muted lighting, far away, cropping........all things that contribute to poor quality, so I don't think the lens is your problem here. I don't know much about that particular lens, whether it is known to have "bad copies". I would look up some reviews, it could be that it is just not a super sharp lens. I would do some more controlled testing in good light where you can get your shutter speed high.

is that also through a window?

These look too soft.
I assume these were shot using AF, try manually focusing and compare.
If still soft like that, I would return it.

Also even though a 500 or 600 zoom is purchased for the zoom, most lenses are not at there best at extreme lengths. 425 is probably pushing it a little.

Was there sufficient shutter speed? Slight camera movement may not blur but cantake from sharpness.

Being on a tripod did you turn the OS off ?

Guessing that is a typo and it is the 150-500 ?

Poor/muted lighting, far away, cropping........all things that contribute to poor quality, so I don't think the lens is your problem here. I don't know much about that particular lens, whether it is known to have "bad copies". I would look up some reviews, it could be that it is just not a super sharp lens. I would do some more controlled testing in good light where you can get your shutter speed high.

I was going to spend the weekend, at least, playing with it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I will get a little sun to shoot in.
I did look at several reviews before I bought this lens and most people had said good things about it.
Thanks.

is that also through a window?

Actually, shot through the sliding glass door, so two panes of glass and whatever gas it may be filled with. It is supposed to be much warmer today so I will try and take it outside.
Thanks.

These look too soft.
I assume these were shot using AF, try manually focusing and compare.
If still soft like that, I would return it.
If still soft like that, I would return it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I tried manual focus also. The results were not much better if any.
Thanks

For what it is worth, I paid very little money for this lens and like I said I think I was expecting way too much.And of course, I'm a poor boy and can't afford a Canon "L" lens in this zoom range. I will keep looking.

Thanks
Gary

Being on a tripod did you turn the OS off ?

Guessing that is a typo and it is the 150-500 ?

No, that's the right lens. It's an older lens and has no IS.

Also even though a 500 or 600 zoom is purchased for the zoom, most lenses are not at there best at extreme lengths. 425 is probably pushing it a little.

Was there sufficient shutter speed? Slight camera movement may not blur but cantake from sharpness.

Most of the people that review this lens said that it was soft at 500 even at f11, but most were very satisfied at between 300 - 400. f11 and even f16 were quoted as being very sharp between 300 - 400.

Shooting through double glass door, and you come on here worried about the image quality? C'mon, give us a break!:BangHead:

You may want to consider AF-fine tuning as well if you can. I'm not sure what kind of camera you have but, I used the AF fine tune on my Nikon D7k and I had to take the lens all the way to -20. You may want to experiment with that before you go out shooting in an uncontrolled environment.

Most reactions

Back