Purchasing First Mid-Level Camera - Nikon D7000 or Canon 60d - Please Help!

kseng

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I am looking to purchase my first mid-level dslr camera, and after hours of research my decision is between Nikon's D7000 or Canon's 60d. With most of the reviews I've read, when comparing the two cameras Nikon comes out on top. Nikon is all I've owned in the past (the Nikon's I owned were Coolpix), and I've always thought it was easy to navigate Nikon's menu options. I like to shoot a variety of subjects, such as nature/wildlife, landscapes, and people.

I have quite a few questions, but here are just a few:

1) Lens options-seems like there are quite a few lenses that work with the Canon 60d and the lenses are less expensive than lenses for Nikon. Again, this will be my first dslr, and I have no equipment that I'd be using with whatever camera I get.

2) If I remember correctly, Canon 60d has image stabilization (IS) built into the body. I know both Canon and Nikon make stabilizing lenses, but I thought it was neat that Canon had IS built in which would lead to not having to purchase IS lenses and lenses would be slightly lighter in weight.

3) Since I don't have any equipment accumulated would you recommend me purchasing the camera as a package? I've done some looking on Amazon but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure about the quality of the items offered. Wondering if purchasing a "kit" is better, or if buying items separately so you have the freedom to choose what you want is best?

60d Kit Amazon.com: Canon EOS 60D DSLR Camera Kit with 3 Canon lenses: Featuring Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II + Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II + Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens, Also Includes: 0.45x High Definition Wide Ang
D7000 Kit Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD with Nikon 18-105mm ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens & Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens & Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens with S

At this point I feel overwhelmed with all the options. The Canon is a few hundred less than the Nikon, but in the end I want to have made a good, solid choice and be happy with the camera I own. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated! I know the more experienced photographer will know what camera specifics need to be considered to sway them one way or the other.

Thanks again,

Kate

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used both cameras myself, and I would go with the D7000 every time, in my experience, the D7000 responds faster, has faster auto focus, for me it's also easier to use. I also think the D7000 is a more advanced camera and has more features. Anyways get to a camera shop to try both.

Ummm,pretty sure that there are NO Canon d-slr bodies that have in-built stabilization; that is the domain of SONY and PENTAX. The kit zooms 18-55 and 55-200 or 55-250 from all of the major mfrs are about equal in quality, as I understand it. MY own,personal preference would be the Nikon D7000, but the EOS 60D is quite a capable body. I'm not sure I'd agree that the D7000 is a "more-advanced" camera than the D60...the D60 does pretty well. It's quite competent. Bottom line, I think Nikon has the better flash system, period. Other than that, I think you could literally flip a coin, head for Nikon, tails for Canon, and no matter which side lands up, the choice will be fruitful.

In the kits listed however, two things really stand out: The Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D is a better-made lens than the Canon 50/1.8 which is a rreal cheap-o design, and tends to beak, into two sections, if dropped or impacted. AND, the .45x high definition wide-angle...UGGGGG, that is a scam!!! it's a screw-in hunk of junk that "widens" and "ruins" the image of whatever lens it's screwed onto.It is NOT a real "lens", it is an accessory filter!!!

The Nikon kit has THREE "real lenses" with it....the Canon has a cheap kit lens, a cheap tele-zoom, and a JUNK .45 wide-angle converter. The Nikon 18-105 is actually the best single lens of all of the lenses listed.

Only Pantex and Sony have in body image stabalizer.

While the 60D is an excellent camera I would go with the D7000 or to be more exact I did go with the D7000.
Few months ago I was in your shoes and my dilema was between few cameras among them were the D7000 and 60D and I chose the Nikon.
The D7000 is better in higher ISO which for me was the point that made me choose the camera.
The D7000 also has an in body auto focus motor which means you can get cheapper Nikon older lenses.
While these lenses are older they are capable of producing amazing pictures, lower Nikon models dont have auto focus on them which means less people are in the market to get these lenses and thus they are cheaper.

Get the Nikon D7000!

To make your decision easier, go with the cheapest DSLR from either company. Avoid being steered by people telling you what they like. Try out the cameras and figure out which works best for you. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter what technologies or lenses it has. It should be an extension of your mind. Don't buy for lens selection. Buy for the way the body works and whether it's easy to use. I know I could get good lenses from either manufacturer, but I know Nikon is the only body that works for me. I don't care what lenses or technologies Canon has. I don't like how their cameras work. You have to find what camera you like. Don't make it about technology. When you're starting out, every DSLR will be more than you can use.

The 60d is almost always cheaper than the d7000. The 60d is also often bundled with an 18-135mm kit lens. Whereas the D7000 is often bundled with an 18-105mm lens. So IMO your deciding factors will included your budget and the system which you personally prefer. While both are very capale cameras, it seems you are more "enamored" to Nikon being a Coolpix user and having your initial research concluding that Nikon is the better camera. That said I'd recommend you get the D7000. Also, as Derrel mentioned you get better glass with the Nikon bundle.

To make your decision easier, go with the cheapest DSLR from either company. Avoid being steered by people telling you what they like. Try out the cameras and figure out which works best for you. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter what technologies or lenses it has. It should be an extension of your mind. Don't buy for lens selection. Buy for the way the body works and whether it's easy to use. I know I could get good lenses from either manufacturer, but I know Nikon is the only body that works for me. I don't care what lenses or technologies Canon has. I don't like how their cameras work. You have to find what camera you like. Don't make it about technology. When you're starting out, every DSLR will be more than you can use.

What if I needed a 17mm tilt/shift lens for my work or an affordable 400mm for wildlife but chose Nikon because I liked the menus better?

What if I needed a 17mm tilt/shift lens for my work or an affordable 400mm for wildlife but chose Nikon because I liked the menus better?

Then youd need to learn how to do a pano. LOL. There was a time before tiltshift you know.

Then youd need to learn how to do a pano. LOL. There was a time before tiltshift you know.
Yes I understand that there was a time before before tilt/shift lenses, we had view-cameras with built in tilt and shift movements. What I don't understand is how learning to shoot pano can eliminate the need for tilt/shift lenses. :confused:

Thanks for all the info. I will be going to a camera store tomorrow to get my hands around both of these.

I know this is going to go against what you said hirejn, but I am considering lenses and other accessories for both cameras. Lets face it, photography is not the cheapest hobby around. The Nikon lenses appear to be more expensive, but if they are better quality and if they can be used when purchasing a newer Nikon body down the road then I think it's a better bargain. Someone had told me Canon is compatible with different lens manufacturers. Can someone confirm? Is this true for Nikon, or do you need to buy Nikon lenses for Nikon and Canon lenses for Canon?

Thanks again for the help.

Most reactions

Back