Q+A - What it's like to be a military photographer.

Thank you,for both ,your service to country,and finding the time give us a "snapshot" of a military photographer.It had been a wonderful read...
WELCOME HOME !!!!!

Welcome back! And thanks for giving those of us who have never served the opportunity to see it in a new way.

Thanks for the quick turnaround and insightful answers. No problem with the AF rant. Though Pearsall's book has some useful info on transitioning to a photography business in the civilian sector so don't discount her work just b/c she's AF.

As for the work at the Pentagon....well, you'll be close enough to Quantico that maybe you'll be able to shoot some interesting stuff that doesn't qualify as ceremonial or staged events. Do be prepared for some major sticker shock when you get to the DC area though--expensive housing and terrible traffic. But it's also a great place to be a photographer in your down time. If you want to plan ahead, I suggest you contact the good folks associated with FotoDC (basically a weeklong series of exhibits, panel discussions),...for more info go here: https://www.fotoweekdc.org about being part of a panel discussion or program on CombatCamera or just your own work. Also worth approaching the Newseum (who have done some great temporary and standing exhibits on photojournalists but have sadly unrepresented the military photographer). You'll have more than enough to keep you busy in the DC area outside of your "day job" plus expand your photographic skills.

I definitely noticed that about apartments. We're looking at websites and they all kind of read like hotels. "Beautiful fitness center, shuttle to the metro, minutes away from shopping, eat-in kitchens!"

I'm actually kind of overwhelmed with all the options. I'm used to places being all, "I know what your BAH is so that's what I'm going to charge and you only have three other options in town that charge the same thing." I don't know what to pick!

The term wall-to-wall carpeting is funny to me, though. What carpeting doesn't go from one wall to the other? Like the other option is the carpet ends halfway through the room and the rest is just dirt?

Hah--haven't heard that about the wall-to-wall carpet before--yep, food for thought. And yes, if you're new to the area, then there are a TON of options. You may have already made your decision but let me throw out a couple of possibilities for you.

1. If you are not an urban kind of gal, if you'd really like to get cheaper rent, be closer to Quantico and the country (or less urban mess) than look at the VRE (Virginia Rail Express). It's commuter rail, runs from Manassas into DC and from Fredericksburg into DC. The southern line (Fredericksburg) will take you right through the Pentagon. That would allow you to live pretty far out, be close to Quantico, be close to some great scenery, get much cheaper rent, yet not have to fight a commute by car every day (I assume you have a POV). If you're not looking for a rural area, than go for Alexandria. Lots you can do there in Old Town on foot as a photographer, much more expensive rent, close to the Pentagon (I'm assuming that's where you'll be reporting) so less commuting for you.

2. I know you've got a gazillion things going on in your life. But do reach out to the FotoDC and Newseum folks (or having someone up the food chain do that for you). The military photography/combat camera perspective has been underrepresented in both, they're great venues for you to gain exposure (both for what you and your buddies have done as well as setting you up for what you do post-Corp) and you'd have a blast if you could get entry to either in some format. I think Newseum would be very interested in an exhibit of Combat Camera work and FotoDC has exhibits and discussions on a wide range of photographic topics (I think it was last year they had a panel on female photojournalists and conflicts).

3. And thanks for your service. For every 100 Americans, only one knows what it's like to hump a ruck and wear a uniform. Everyone who serves (whether in war or peace) deserves our gratitude and respect. And glad you made it back home standing--not everyone returns from a war zone in that condition.

Confession time! My official MOS (military occupational specialty) is a videographer! Since my move up here to D.C. that is what I've been doing. So this isn't related to photography exactly, but it is! It's about storytelling and communicating someone else's story to the world by doing what you try to do best.

I recently got to communicate a piece of the story of Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, the next Medal of Honor recipient. The end result, entitled "Letters," was a video about the relationship between him and his family through bootcamp to present while he and his mother read letters they had written to each other. It's gotten some amount of success, going viral and being picked up by Business Insider, Marine Corps Times, and other peeps.

I'll admit, it was a hard edit. I was dealing with a TON of raw, unedited footage that I had no prior involvement in. I was tasked with molding all of that raw nothing into a cohesive story that would tell the story of a family I didn't even know. It's an awesome feeling as an artist to see a project go from nothing to something that people feel touched and inspired by.

The video is hosted on DVIDS, which isn't easily embeddable here, but you can read a bit more about it and watch it here: Battle Rattle » Watch: Future MOH recipient Kyle Carpenter gets call from the president

Or you can read a little bit more about what it felt like editing it, and watch the video as well, on my blog here: Being Entrusted With Someone's Story : Editing "Letters" for Cpl. Kyle Carpenter

I also edited a music video featuring Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, sung by Awesome Country Guy Mike Corrado, entitled "Stand"

Trust me, this place is keeping me busy.

If you read only one thing about this post, make it this: We're storytellers. Whether we take portraits, document weddings, photograph families, or shoot videos: we tell stories about people. Tell them honestly and truthfully. Do right by those who trust their story to you. There is nothing worse than unethical, dishonest journalism. Except cockroaches, those are gross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate all of the candid information you've shared with us. My dad was a Marine Photographer so I grew up hearing about photography on Iwo Jima and in China and how it was to be a marine combat photographer. It was really great to hear about what it's like in these days and times.
Tango Uniform for your service!

Hey Tammy,

Great to hear from you again and I"m glad you're keeping this thread alive with your experiences and insights. I think your point about how we're all telling stories is a powerful one. If a photographer takes the lens cap off with the mindset of "I'm telling a story" vs. "I'm looking for a pretty picture to take"....it's a completely different mindset that then manifests itself in terms of composition and timing.

Congratulations to Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, the newest Medal of Honor recipient for the United States Marine Corps. I skipped basketball to watch him be awarded on the TV at the gym. I had been interviewing him not a few hours before that.

$Kyle.jpg
(Official USMC Photo by Cpl. Mike Guinto)

Today we also interviewed the Corpsman who saved his life and pulled him off the rooftop where he was injured. He described putting a tourniquet on his arm like putting a tourniquet on a burrito. I can't seem to get that out of my mind tonight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back