Q:Best Way to WaterMark Your Images/Photographs

Technically there are two questions here.

How do I best protect my images on the net? (This was noted later on via the context of the thread.)

and

How do I best watermark my work?

To answer the first...

The only lock that can not be opened is the lock which has no key.

Loosely translated: If it is super important that an image not be stolen then the only safe bet is to remove the opportunity... Don't show/post/display it. Best way hands down.

To answer the second.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. And if you are trying to put the two questions together, then you can't please anybody any of the time.

Loosely translated: The more you try to use a watermark to protect an image and the more it comes close to doing so... The less likely the image will even be worth looking at. (with the exception of the pricey Digimarc system but that is not 100% successful either.)

So...

Watermarks: They function more for giving your fans/prospective clients a way of tracking YOU down not a way for you to track down criminals.

The best way to watermark images is unobtrusively yet readable using whatever editing software you use. (preferably one utilizing layers)

Obtrusive watermarks turn away more prospective clients then they turn away prospective criminals.

My experience and 2 cents.

When I read this post, I hear Leonard Nimoy's voice in my head.:lol:

Another thing you need to consider is metadata. If you want your images all over google, then it's a good thing, but I know several business owners who don't see the need as they have paid for professional photographs and they don't want them stolen off google. Like filmshooter showed watermarks are a cinch to work around!
A big low opacity banner in the middle can work well though

Best answer I have seen on this topic - Thanks.

Most reactions

Back