Q re: two specific lenses. Need advice.

Mindy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks. I've done my homework and I need your advice. I ordered the T1i and should get it next Thursday. I opted for the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) to practice with until I can save up for a better lens.

On lenses, I've been shopping around and looking at 1) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM AF, and 2) Cannon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF. I think I want to buy both eventually, 1) for outdoor shoots, and 2) for indoor and ??

• Is #2 an all around type of lens that would be for indoor shooting only, or would it be for outdoors and indoors?
  • Can one capture a subject at a decent distance with #2 out of doors? Do you think it would be a decent lens for outdoors and something to get by with until I get #1?
I still need one for indoors so I'm not sure what to do yet. Thanks for listening.

P.S. I'm also confused about aperture and light, and I am incredibly embarrassed about asking this, but can you please verify? The smaller the hole results in a larger number (i.e., f/4) and the narrower the aperture; and then the larger the hole results in a smaller number (i.e., f/2.8) thus a wider aperture? But if you have a smaller fixed aperture like say f/4 rather than f/2.8, then you can compensate by decreasing the shutter speed? (I understand that the larger the aperture the better, thus more control over how much light you use.)

I think I understand, I am just looking for verification. Thank you.

Hello folks. I've done my homework and I need your advice. I ordered the T1i and should get it next Thursday. I opted for the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) to practice with until I can save up for a better lens.

On lenses, I've been shopping around and looking at 1) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM AF, and 2) Cannon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF. I think I want to buy both eventually, 1) for outdoor shoots, and 2) for indoor and ??

• Is #2 an all around type of lens that would be for indoor shooting only, or would it be for outdoors and indoors?
  • Can one capture a subject at a decent distance with #2 out of doors? Do you think it would be a decent lens for outdoors and something to get by with until I get #1?
I still need one for indoors so I'm not sure what to do yet. Thanks for listening.

P.S. I'm also confused about aperture and light, and I am incredibly embarrassed about asking this, but can you please verify? The smaller the hole results in a larger number (i.e., f/4) and the narrower the aperture; and then the larger the hole results in a smaller number (i.e., f/2.8) thus a wider aperture? But if you have a smaller fixed aperture like say f/4 rather than f/2.8, then you can compensate by decreasing the shutter speed? (I understand that the larger the aperture the better, thus more control over how much light you use.)

I think I understand, I am just looking for verification. Thank you.
It's confusing to everyone when they are new to it.

It's backwards a smaller opening is a big number and a large opening is a small number.

When they talk about a fast lens they are talking about the maximum aperture (large opening, small number) like f/2.8.
When the lens opening is large (small number) like f/2.8 it's letting in a lot of light so you can use a faster shutter speed to make your exposure.
Kit lenses are slower because they have smaller maximum lens openings (f/3.5) letting in less light so you have to leave the shutter open longer (slower shutter speed) to get the same amount of light to the image sensor.

I hope that helps.

Once you get your camera and kit lens and start making images it will become more apparent. You'll be absorbing other information that will help you decide which lenses to get next based on your favorite type of photography. Keep saving the money for lenses though because good glass will last and hold it's value through more than a couple of camera bodies.

It's confusing to everyone when they are new to it.

It's backwards a smaller opening is a big number and a large opening is a small number.

When they talk about a fast lens they are talking about the maximum aperture (large opening, small number) like f/2.8.
When the lens opening is large (small number) like f/2.8 it's letting in a lot of light so you can use a faster shutter speed to make your exposure.
Kit lenses are slower because they have smaller maximum lens openings (f/3.5) letting in less light so you have to leave the shutter open longer (slower shutter speed) to get the same amount of light to the image sensor.

I hope that helps.

I had to re-read that several times but I finally got it! :lol:

Once you get your camera and kit lens and start making images it will become more apparent. You'll be absorbing other information that will help you decide which lenses to get next based on your favorite type of photography. Keep saving the money for lenses though because good glass will last and hold it's value through more than a couple of camera bodies.

Alrighty. I'm just so excited, I really really want a good lens NOW, and really good IQ. But I shall save and wait. Thanks again, Keith. :)

I had to re-read that several times but I finally got it! :lol:

Alrighty. I'm just so excited, I really really want a good lens NOW, and really good IQ. But I shall save and wait. Thanks again, Keith. :)
I've started a new blog. It's down there in my siggy 'Basics of Photography'. You might take a look. There's more info you may find useful.

I've started a new blog. It's down there in my siggy 'Basics of Photography'. You might take a look. There's more info you may find useful.

Yes I found it, thank you. Very valuable stuff for the newcomer. :)

If you're wanting to do indoor shots the f/4 probably isn't your best first choice. I would look at the 24-70 f/2.8L for that task. If you're going to use an external flash mostly, then forget I said that. If you're wanting to shoot natural light indoors, get faster glass (f/2.8 or faster).

The 70-200 f/2.8L is an amazing lens, probably one of the most popular lenses Canon offers. It's good indoor or out, and it is capable of producing some really great pics. I would keep this one high on your list.

I do a lot of indoor shooting and low light shooting too. For that reason I only own one lens currently that's f/4, and I'm thinking about upgrading it to the faster 16-35 f/2.8.

Keep in mind that going from f/2.8 to f/4 is no small matter. It's double the light gathering capability which can play a pretty big role in getting the shot you need in low light.

The 70-200 f/2.8L is an amazing lens, probably one of the most popular lenses Canon offers. It's good indoor or out, and it is capable of producing some really great pics. I would keep this one high on your list.

I've read great things about that lens. :drool:

I thought it was just for outdoor shots. I'll have to go to a store and check it out. Thank you. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back