Qaulity CF card readers?

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Maybe this is just me, but it seems every card reader I've owned I've had to take apart at least once and straighten the pins. Now that my son has taken on a fascination with CF cards, I fear that this most recent fix won't be my last.

Does anyone have any suggestions on well designed CF readers that won't allow the card to be inserted all wonky? It seems that the problem is that the multi card readers use CF1 and CF2 in the same slot which if you don't line it up just right the card goes in crooked - and those pins are really fragile - especially when a toddler tries to jam the card in.

Obvious solution aside, I don't really think it's likely I'll always remember to pull the every time, does anyone know of a CF reader which only takes CF1 or that is less prone to damaged pins?

I use one of these! Newegg.com - Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate They are cheap... if one gets hosed, easy to replace. But.. the pins are far enough back, to where the card self aligns pretty well... making it harder to bend pins.

I tooks a pitc'her fer ya's ta looks at.

$cf1.jpg

This looks good too.. but haven't used one. Might get one for a portable solution though...

http://www.adorama.com/ILXPU3DSRWC7.html?gclid=CObz-f3o3bECFcHsKgodfREARw

holy shizart. for $60, I'd hope so!

I use one of these! Newegg.com - Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate They are cheap... if one gets hosed, easy to replace. But.. the pins are far enough back, to where the card self aligns pretty well... making it harder to bend pins.

View attachment 16319

This looks good too.. but haven't used one. Might get one for a portable solution though...

Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader, LRW307URBNA LRW307URBNA

I have the rosewill one and long story short, look else where.

View attachment 16319

Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader, LRW307URBNA LRW307URBNA

I have the rosewill one and long story short, look else where.

Really? Never had a problem with it.. I had my first one for two years... and upgraded to this one for USB 3. Of course, it is the first time I have actually been using the CF reader.... since I got my D800.

I'm on my third replacement.

When I sold my 30D and bought a 60D, my CF card days were over. But I ended up buying an external USB SDHC card reader as my computer didn't have the right slot.

You may want to consider doing the same. At 'throw away' prices, if one goes kaput, have a spare ready to go. And, if you're travelling, you can use it on the road on someone elses, computer, as well. Along those lines, here's what I found at Amazon.com

Amazon.com: usb cf card reader

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Modern cams like D800 and even 5D3 with its "small" picture sizes pretty much need a USB 3 card reader and a 60mb+ r+w CF card to work efficiently.

Sata is faster than USB 3.0 so they don't "need" USB 3.0.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back