What's new

Quality and color

Kendall9991

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
107
Reaction score
27
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use to own an extended zoom Nikon Coolpix L110 and now have (almost identical) Fujifilm Finepix S2500HD but I've come to notice a few things quality and color wise. Not sure if I am just not understanding the setting or if the Fuji is just a lot cheaper of a camera. Here are a few photo's from each camera (with settings etc). I'm just hoping maybe setting are my issue and not the lens in the camera. Before it is said, a DSLR (Nikon D5200) is on my list before christmas!


COOLPIX L110
Aperture - f/5.4
Shutter - 1/753
ISO - 100

To me the quality/color seem way better than the next picture




Finepix S2500HD
Aperture - f/5.6
Shutter - 1/350
ISO - 64

This picture just seems dull and without color. Same type of day as well and both were using "Sunny" White balance

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oa7eXA]
 
Last edited:
Another example. The 1st one was IIRC around noon-ish and the other at 7am (for sun references)

Coolpix L110
Aperture - f/4.3
Shutter - 1/218
ISO - 80

14706579136_c29abda9c8_c.jpg


Finepix S2500HD
Aperture - f/6.4
Shutter - 1/140
ISO - 64
14542959389_071ca03632_c.jpg
 
To me all 4 photos appear properly exposed and the colors seem like they could be right. Old trains don't usually have vivid colors but you could do a little post processing to bring the colors up a bit. You were there so perhaps the scenes had a bit more pop in real life.
 
I notice to that possibly the Fuji can't handle as fast of shutter speeds. Seems like if their is even a remote spot of shade, the photo is really dark. I'll just have to go back out with it and fill my card up playing with the settings more.
 
They look like I expected them too look? Do you still have both cameras? If so take the exact same picture using the same settings and compare from that... The pictures you posted from the fuji dont have as vibrant colors as the ones you posted from the coolpix because the pictures themselves arent vibrant... sand and a light blue wont be very vibrant compared to a bright orange.
 
They look like I expected them too look? Do you still have both cameras? If so take the exact same picture using the same settings and compare from that... The pictures you posted from the fuji dont have as vibrant colors as the ones you posted from the coolpix because the pictures themselves arent vibrant... sand and a light blue wont be very vibrant compared to a bright orange.
That could be. Maybe I just haven't had vibrant "objects" to shoot with this one. I'll have to go out and try to shoot some orange trains with this one.

Andthe other one was traded for paintball stuff. :facepalm:
 
Harsh overhead sun that you get around noon washes out colours and can make them appear listless. Both shooting both earlier and later in the day will make your colours better. Direct overhead light flattens photos too, as it kills the shadows where directional light produces a nice solid look because of the shadows cast.

It's not that your camera can't handle fast shutter speeds either, but that all cameras have a dynamic range less than our eyes. This tends to make shadows darker and lights lighter than we typically see ourselves. So we need to choose a science that is lit in a certain way or introduce a bit of flash or light the scene ourselves. I'd read up about different metering modes as this is often how we can select an exposure we want using the camera.

A bit of fill flash would have eliminated that shadow from the cap in the 1st portrait too.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom