Question about cactus flash trigger

The batteries in almost all of the lower end triggers seem to be cheap "test" style batteries that have a really low charge. It's a good idea to just replace them right when you get them to avoid trouble. Mpex just offers that for you right up front with their varta offering.

The V4 has better range out of the box and gives you a more compact style. The V2s can be modified, fairly easily, to get 300+ feet range. No idea if this can happen with the V4 yet.

Search Youtube for cactus v4 and you will see plenty of reviews for both of them.

If they match or even have better pricing on the V2's wonder why there is a 15% roughly higher price for the V4's?

Because out of the box, they do about 75 feet on a good day with fresh batteries. For people that have zero soldering skills or cannot take the time to do the mod (all 1.5 minutes), it is a viable solution.

It doesn't solve the weird batteries in the receiver issues, nor the height issue... but some are willing to live with that. :)

You cannot mod them, becuase basically, what they did at the factory, was just a less effective version of the mod that I did to mine... basically, attach an antenna to the transmitter, thats about it.

Last edited:
Because out of the box, they do about 75 feet on a good day with fresh batteries. For people that have zero soldering skills or cannot take the time to do the mod (all 1.5 minutes), it is a viable solution.

It doesn't solve the weird batteries in the receiver issues, nor the height issue... but some are willing to live with that. :)

You cannot mod them, becuase basically, what they did at the factory, was just a less effective version of the mod that I did to mine... basically, attach an antenna to the transmitter, thats about it.

My wife just did a house on Sunday for a couple that was mad about the shots a realtor took. She used 3 flashes to light up a dark porch and some interior rooms. She estimated she was about 100-120' back on a couple of the shots showing the whole property. Still using the included batteries they fired just fine (she is carrying new ones just in case though). She showed them the pics on her laptop and the couple were so happy they asked for about a dozen prints. Even joked the house looked so good they didn't want to sell any more. :lol:

As for the height, the recievers are only about 1" tall, maybe a little bit more. If that is too much they do have the socket so the flash can be mounted straight onto the flash swivel or umbrella mount, and use a wire for connection.

As for batteries the V4's use AAA instead of CR2's. It seems there is a problem using rechargeable AAA's due to lower voltages. But work fine with standard AAA's. I have not tested this out though. As so far even the cheap included batteries are working good (probably was a fresh batch).

So, far they are working very well for what we intended them for. And for me the price difference was well worth the little bit extra over the V2's. If we get to the point of needing longer range (no immediate need though). We will get some PW's. Still might anyway. But for what she is doing on a part time basis. So far, all is well. :thumbup:

My wife just did a house on Sunday for a couple that was mad about the shots a realtor took. She used 3 flashes to light up a dark porch and some interior rooms. She showed them the pics on her laptop and the couple were so happy they asked for about a dozen prints. Even joked the house looked so good they didn't want to sell any more. :lol:

But for what she is doing on a part time basis. So far, all is well. :thumbup:

Sound's like she is having fun doing a good job and making a little money as well... well done! :)

I bought umbrella adapters but the ones you have look a lot more stable. Which ones did you purchase?

Most reactions

Back