Question about Color Calibration

habuivan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to ask your advises on Color Calibration. I have two monitors at home and I used Spyder 3 pro to calibrate. I photoshop my image on my "good" monitor (U2311h) and output it to a PNG file. However when I open that file on a Macbook (not calibrated), the image look kind brighter there and some colors do not look like the one on my monitor. In general, it look uglier than the one on my monitor :(. I'm wondering if the image opened on a non-calibrated monitor/laptop, it will look the same as on Macbook.

My question is how to calibrate to make the photo looks “correct” in general?

Sorry mod if I post this thread in a wrong section.

You said it yourself... your Macbook isn't calibrated...

So calibrate it. :lol:

If you're calibrating your monitor and going off of the colors you have on that monitor... as long as that monitor isn't a POS, you should be fine. All you have to do is use that same calibrator and calibrate your Macbook... you'll probably see an improvement then.

If you are calibrating two monitors, Spyder 3 Pro is not capable of getting what is called a "studio match", that is, the "software" makes the best attempt to match the colour gamut on more than one monitor. To do that, you will need to upgrade to Spyder 3 Elite - of course if a studio match is not important, then Spyder 3 Pro should do just fine, but it will not necessarily give you a "best colour gamut" match for the two monitors. This match only works if the two monitors are attached to the same computer.

It may be that the reason that your MacBook image looks brighter is that very often when units come from the manufacturer, whether is is a desktop, a laptop, or a netbook, the manufacturer sets the screen to a higher brightness than you require for adequate display during image processing. My experience has been that when I get a new monitor and then calibrate it, the calibrated monitor is not as bright as it was before calibration. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

LOL. So, for every set of proofs that you send to a client you just tell them that they need to spend a few hundred bucks on calibration hardware/software to view your images properly? Again...LOL

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LOL. So, for every set of proofs that you send to a client you just tell them that they need to spend a few hundred bucks on calibration hardware/software to view your images properly? Again...LOL

And there is the best reason to do in person proofing. Besides the fact that the sales are MUCH bigger.
You control what they see and can 'create' more of an emotional attachment with in person proofing.

So what is the best approach to edit images for web sharing? It will look nice on my calibrated monitor only and sucks on others???

Sorry for the noob question.

habuivan said:
So what is the best approach to edit images for web sharing? It will look nice on my calibrated monitor only and sucks on others???

Sorry for the noob question.

Basically! Most people viewing in the web won't notice. There screen isn't calibrated so they won't notice a difference - you do because your seeing it on a calibrated screen.

I just picked up a new monitor at Sam's Club last weekend SyncMaster 2770FH for $259 and love it. Calibrated it with the Xrite i display 2 (Craigslist 60 bucks) everyone wants the new toys and are getting rid of perfectly working calibration tools. Called WHCC and ask for a color calibration test and recieved 5 - 8x10's that are pretty much on without any color correction done "Free" , that is the difference when working with pro labs, they want to get it right just like we do.
Calibrating the laptop would be the 1st step.
-
Shoot well, Joe

...My question is how to calibrate to make the photo looks “correct” in general?

If you are broke or on a tight budget like I am, I find that a tool like this...

displaycalibration.jpg

can be quite helpful... Also:

Monitor%2520Calibration.jpg

Most reactions

Back