What's new

Question about Double Exposures

hodad

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
tiburon ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I had a question about how to work with double exposures.I have an accidental double exposure on one of my negatives.Someone else took the photo.It is a portrait of me and consists of three images superimposed on eachother.It is okay looking but I would have preferred to have three separate photos,as each image would have made a really nice photograph by itself.There is a prominent image then two sort of 'underlying' it and the middle image would have made an especially nice portrait,except I can't quite make out all of it.Is there a way to flesh out each separate image? And if I can't do it myself would it be possible for it to be done professionally? I guess double exposures can produce an interesting photo but I always get frustrated when I find one as I prefer to have the individual shot by itself.Thanks for any tips--
 
I tried double exposure once and it came out well. the photo is a shot of me drinking with my twin brother. ( I don't have a twin brother) I used a cokin filter holder (not sure if its still available in the market)placed on my normal lens. I covered the filter holder with illustration board matte black facing the lens and I cut it in half so you could see only the othe half of the frame. Put the camera on top of a tripod and you're ready to do double exposure! The trick here is to shoot half of the frame with you or someone in it. After taking the shot, you advance the film while pressing a button on the bottom of the camera which prevents the film from moving, then you carefully move the illustration board to the other side of the frame and shoot again. This will take a little practice but I hope you will be satisfied with the results!
 
I have an accidental double exposure on one of my negatives
If I remember correctly, you're are pretty much stuck with it. Once film was exposed to particular elements they are there.
You could find few labs that can do retouching and are pixel junkies :) but keep in mind it is a very delicate job and will not cost you $10.

Back in film days, used to play with Double Exposure. Today in digital, it is done digitally :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom