Question about ETTR, multiple exposures

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When shooting a landscape scene that has HDR and I'm not able to fit all the info into the histogram should I take the first shot with the histogram pushed to the right and then a shot where I am not clipping the shadows?

When shooting a landscape scene that has HDR and I'm not able to fit all the info into the histogram should I take the first shot with the histogram pushed to the right and then a shot where I am not clipping the shadows?

What histogram? Are you processing raw files? In a high dynamic range landscape I usually find a single raw capture that maximizes sensor utilization adequate.

Joe

Evert, first lets make sure we're all taking about the same thing.
Don't confuse HDR or an HDR scene with HDR Photography, sometimes refereed to as HDRI(imaging).
But yes, HDR photography is often used to photograph an HDR scene.
Yes, usually there are 3 exposures(shots) taken, one a stop below, one normal and one a stop over, or whatever ranges or as many photos as you want to take.
Usually an HDR scene has a strong light source in the shot or reflected in the shot, usually the sun.
Other than the one over one under there are really no rules, you can do any sequence at what ever stops you want.
SS

No, ETTR is typicaly only used when the tonal values are compressed and you can fit it within the range of your sensor.

I found that if my bracketed shots are too far apart I had more issues combing them in post.

Only bracket for what you need: If a scene only needs 2 exposures to get it all, stop there!

Most reactions

Back