Question about frame sizes

NoelleLaBelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to order some simple cardboard frames for photo prints sized 4x6 but I'm confused on what Photo opening size means and feeling a bit silly that I don't get it :blushing:

If a frame says it's 4x6 but the opening size is 3-5/8" x 5-5/8" does that mean that the print won't fit and I need something with a larger opening size?

I just don't want to order a pack of frames and then find the pictures won't even fit... but I also don't want to make the error in picking something too big.

thats the opening. You want the opening of the mating to be a little smaller so it will hide the edge of the photo.

You will be losing 3/16" around the edges of your photo behind the matt/frame.

That loss means the window will cover the 1/4 inch border around the image. That is the standard for commerically printed photos.

oops, sorry I see that has already been answered.

Okay, so then I'm perfectly fine ordering those size of frames?

Sorry that I'm dense on this, the only photography classes I had were for graphic design so we never got into this area of printing to sell just pictures.

You are good on that size for 4x6. If the opening was 4x6 your photo would fall out! If for some reason you need the edges to show you can dry mount them on matte board and add second matte for a cover and acid free tape to make a hinge. But it sounds like you are just using these to distribute the photo to the customer so dry mounting would probably be over kill. :)

Thanks CCericola :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm just starting out small right now with a local restaurant and since I don't have much funds I figured simple framing would be easier on my wallet and give them a way that if they so choose they could put it in something more fancy, but for my little town the cardboard frames would be rather fitting.

And also thank you, Christie Photo, I'll look that up now as well :D

Most reactions

Back