question about lighting in pictures

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

This is related to my previous thread about lighting. Someone mentioned a link to strobist about a light tent, I saw it and really wanted to apply it to my pictures. I just had a few questions, in the light tent the light is above the box. In the link below they use 2 flashes on the side, will that create the same affect? If so how can I get the 2 flashes to work like that? Is it with the poket wizard? It seems that it has cords I don't know exactly how it works. Please give me some info THANKS

Strobist: On Assignment: Shoot Your Shiny New Gizmo Like a Pro

There are many methods of triggering flashes. Pocket Wizards are one option, but a very expensive one. There are less expensive radio triggers but you could use wired connections if you like.

Hi,

This is related to my previous thread about lighting. Someone mentioned a link to strobist about a light tent, I saw it and really wanted to apply it to my pictures. I just had a few questions, in the light tent the light is above the box. In the link below they use 2 flashes on the side, will that create the same affect? If so how can I get the 2 flashes to work like that? Is it with the poket wizard? It seems that it has cords I don't know exactly how it works. Please give me some info THANKS

Strobist: On Assignment: Shoot Your Shiny New Gizmo Like a Pro

The cheapest method to do this would be to run a PC cord from your camera to one of the flashes, and have the other flash slave off the first one. If the second flash doesn't automatically slave, you can run a short PC cord to an optical slave trigger. This can be done for about ~$25-$30 for both cords and the trigger.
This is assuming that both flashes have PC plugs

The cheapest method to do this would be to run a PC cord from your camera to one of the flashes, and have the other flash slave off the first one. If the second flash doesn't automatically slave, you can run a short PC cord to an optical slave trigger. This can be done for about ~$25-$30 for both cords and the trigger.
This is assuming that both flashes have PC plugs
What kind of camera do you use? Most newer Nikon DSLR's have a built-in wireless speedlight triggering system known as CLS (Creative Lighting System).

What kind of camera do you use? Most newer Nikon DSLR's have a built-in wireless speedlight triggering system known as CLS (Creative Lighting System).

Most of the cameras with a built in pop-up flash have CLS. If you have a pop-up, then you may be able to do it without cords, provided you have SB-600, 800, or 900 flashes.

I have a D2Xs, which does not have a built in flash, but I use modified Cactus V2s wireless triggers.

Thanks for all the advice I love this place!!!!

I am using a D60 and 1 SB 600. In the picture the guy is using two flashes, so should I get another SB 600 for a better outcome? To be honest I dont need any fancy wireless stuff, a cord would work fine since im in a limited work space. I just want to get the best "blown out" look just like the pictures. Wires dont bother me as long as I can get the two flashes operational.

Also like stated above, the video displays the flash on top of the box. If I use the two SB 600s on the side will it be a better outcome? Or at least the same outcome

THANKS!

I've never used a D60, but I don't think it has CLS control or a PC sync plug. This is easily remedied, though. You can purchase a hot-shoe sync adapter that slides onto your hotshoe mount, and a PC cable plugs into it to go to your flash. The only caveat to this is that you will have to shoot in full manual....no flash control from the camera other than triggering it.

As far as the second flash, you can use almost anything you want, any brand you want. I shoot Nikon, and I have an old ProMaster flash made for a Canon that I picked up at a pawn shop for a good deal. As long as you are only using it as a slave, and not on your camera, use whatever you want.....no need to go spend another $250 for another 600 if you don't need to.

Last edited:
The D60 can not be used as a commander. The BETTER option (including over a Pocket Wizard) is to get the SU-800. It will serve as a commander for your D60 and the SB-600. If you do not want to go that route, you can get a SB-800, but it will only be able to be used on camera as the commander, and thats silly.

The article you linked to is a "Macro Studio" set up - which of course is pretty pointless if you are interested in shooting portraiture.

As for how many lights you would need - you can create stunning portraits using a single SB-600/SB-800 and knowledge of your camera. There are several DVD's out there that explain light and using CLS very well - shoot me a PM if you'd like more information.

Thanks again,

I was trying to shoot pictures of shoes not portrait pictures, there must have been some confusion.

Phranquey what other suggestions do you have other than the SB 600 to use? If i did use something else will the flash come out equally well? Basically want to get the full blown out look, im scared if I use a weaker flash one side might be less bright.
Im not exactly sure but just wanted to make sure

Thanks again,

I was trying to shoot pictures of shoes not portrait pictures, there must have been some confusion.

Phranquey what other suggestions do you have other than the SB 600 to use? If i did use something else will the flash come out equally well? Basically want to get the full blown out look, im scared if I use a weaker flash one side might be less bright.
Im not exactly sure but just wanted to make sure

There are obviously a myriad of flashes out there to choose from, so recommending a single one is kinda difficult. I go by the Guide Number (GN) of the flash. Guide number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The higher the guide number, the more powerful the flash.

Most reactions

Back