Question about new lens...

ferret_lovr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that Tamron is a cheaper version of Nikon and Cannon when it comes down to it but I bought a new Tamron 70-300 mm Di Lens for really cheap off of Ebay that they had said would do fine with a Nikon D40 and was in good working condition. Could anybody tell me if they have this lens and how it is or if you've heard anything about it? I bought it because I needed a lense that could zoom further in on wedding shots such as 'the kiss' and the 'ring exchange' without people knowing my prescence so I'm not ruining the moment. If anybody could help that would be wonderful. I have been working with an DSLR for about 6 months and taking a photography class so I am a newb but I figured it would be a good idea to ask this question where people who know about it would see it.

Havent used the lens but here in Canada it sells for 249.99. Which doesnt sound promising. You're better off looking for a Nikon 70-300 NON- vr lens. So the Nikon 70-300 from before the VR stuff started coming out. Its only a couple years outdated and is the same lens as the VR, without VR, which you wouldn't be getting with the Tamron anyways.

After further research the Nikon 70-300 NON-vr is cheaper at 169.99 (CDN) verses. 249.99 (CDN) for the Tamron.
I can gaurantee you that the Nikon will give you better results.

2nd edit; Neither of these lenses are really that good by any means. You need to spend over a grand in the 300 mm range to notice any major difference.

AND

all these F4.0-5.6 telephotos are usually pretty weak at the end of their MM's. (aka, soft at 270-300)

Well what you need to know is the lenses model number to know for sure if it will auto focus with the D40. Here is a link to the compatable model numbers. Nikon Service Updates

Ok thanks.....I already bought the lens....reason being is I can't afford the really expensive ones right now. I just needed a lens that would zoom a bit further than my 18-55mm. Thanks for your info though. It answered my question.

Havent used the lens but here in Canada it sells for 249.99. Which doesnt sound promising. You're better off looking for a Nikon 70-300 NON- vr lens. So the Nikon 70-300 from before the VR stuff started coming out. Its only a couple years outdated and is the same lens as the VR, without VR, which you wouldn't be getting with the Tamron anyways.

After further research the Nikon 70-300 NON-vr is cheaper at 169.99 (CDN) verses. 249.99 (CDN) for the Tamron.
I can gaurantee you that the Nikon will give you better results.

2nd edit; Neither of these lenses are really that good by any means. You need to spend over a grand in the 300 mm range to notice any major difference.

AND

all these F4.0-5.6 telephotos are usually pretty weak at the end of their MM's. (aka, soft at 270-300)

The main problem I see with the Tamron zoom is that it won't autofocus on a D40. If you don't mind manual focusing, then that's fine.

The main problem I see with the Tamron zoom is that it won't autofocus on a D40. If you don't mind manual focusing, then that's fine.

Really????? Hmmmm....how annoying. I'll be using it to photograph my sisters wedding so I think I may need to get a better lens. Thanks.

for the time being you can look into renting lenses, from vistec (Canada) you can rent a good 300m f2 for about 50 a day the f4 would be a lot less i would figure, get your sister to rent it for you....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back