Question about "Snapshots"

tnvol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You always hear things like "Looks like a snapshot" when reading critiques. With all the recent threads about the shrinking talent pool of photographers, I've gone back and taken an honest look at everything I've shot over the past couple of years. This has been a real learning experience for me because it has forced me to honestly access my work. Pictures I thought were really awesome two years ago don't seem so awesome now. I know thats a good thing but it also raises some questions for me. When are snapshots ok? Every picture can't be epic. Sometimes you just want to capture a moment or preserve something that held some sort of importance at that point in time. My family being a perfect example. I have tons of pictures of my kids and other people who are important to me. Some are really good and some are just quick shots that preserve a memory for my family and I. Pictures that we can look at in 20 years and continue to enjoy. I would never question or seek approval for these types of shots because they mean something to me, but they really seem to strike a nerve with some people and they are cast off as "just a snapshot". I'm by no means complaining about any critique I've ever been given so please don't take this the wrong way. I honestly don't ever remember any of the few pictures I've posted being called snapshots and I know that a huge percentage of what I shoot are exactly that, but I do see the term quite a bit. I guess my question is simply when are these types of shots acceptable? Do people just not like to see them presented for critique?

I guess my question is simply when are these types of shots acceptable? Do people just not like to see them presented for critique?
They are always acceptable... Some people just don't care to see your family snapshots...

90% of what I shoot is just snapshots... That's not bad, but I don't put those pictures up for C&C. Most likely, the only people that will really care one way or the other about them are people that know the subjects.

IMO, I think they are fine, but not for C+C. To me, a snapshot is this

Snapshot= Mainly used to capture a moment no photographic thought to composition, exposure etc. is given ( aside from automatic settings ). Its a quick spur of the moment impulse type shot.

So with that definition in mind, it makes them pointless to ask for critique, because you didn't try to begin with and the laundry list of things to do better would probably be quite long. However, if you just want to post to show something cool you saw, then go nuts. :lol:

Last edited:
Snapshots don t exist.. only strong and weak photographs. It was a term conjured up by people who can't put more than a few words together to discuss a photo they deemed weak.

By some people's definitions, some of the most powerful street photos or journalistic photos are snapshots.

Not to come off as one of "those guys" that do the whole dictionary thing....but I couldn't resist...

snap·shot

noun \ˈsnap-ˌshät\
Definition of SNAPSHOT

: a casual photograph made typically by an amateur with a small handheld camera

: an impression or view of something brief or transitory <a snapshot of life back then>

Guess I should have used the search function before I posted. Sorry guys. I hope my honest question doesn't turn into a pissing contest.

Guess I should have used the search function before I posted. Sorry guys. I hope my honest question doesn't turn into a pissing contest.

Hahaha, but look at what you've learned!

The Search function.
How polarized the forum can be on any given issue.
How the simplest question can ignite a war.
How a majority view the difference between a snapshot and a photograph.

;)

Hahaha, but look at what you've learned!

The Search function.
How polarized the forum can be on any given issue.
How the simplest question can ignite a war.
How a majority view the difference between a snapshot and a photograph.

;)

I hear ya Bitter. I read the thread you referenced. I was asking more about the negative aspect of the term. I should have been more clear and not focused so much on family oriented pictures. I read the dictionary definition but more often than not, it IS used as a negative term and sometimes I think the negativity is unwarranted. In any event, I appreciate the input from everyone. Thanks a bunch!

With all the recent threads about the shrinking talent pool of photographers....
I didn't see those threads, but IMO the pool of talented photographers is bigger than ever, still growing, and will continue to grow.

The problem is, that pool of truely talented photographers just looks smaller, because it is surrounded by the now enormous pool of hacks, mwacs, and gwacs that is growing even faster still.

Put another way, it's like a signal to noise problem, difficult to decern the signal (talented photographers) from all the noise (no talent photographers). ;)

there is more to the term snapshot but in summary its basically what websters dictionary states =)

professional cameras were never able to be held up to your face as they are now.. u used to have to look into them from the top.. so you would hold the camera around your mid chest / stomach area when taking a photo..

the perspective of holding the camera that way.. as subtle as it may be.. has a dramatic effect on the overall photo.. this is a technique lots of pro photographers will use..
dropping down a foot or so when holding the camera so that they can achieve this "classic" style of holding the camera..

is all part of the extensive psychology of photography and picture taking..

a snapshot is basically as pointless of a term as "point and shoot" ... all cameras take snapshots and all cameras point... and shoot =P

their just buzz words..

to describe the quality of a photo i generally rely on the tried and true "amazing" and "****ty"

:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back