Question for AF-D 24-85mm f/2.8-4 Lens Owners

Rafterman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
What are the max apertures at the major focal length markers on the lens? I've scoured the Net and can't find them anywhere.

I'm guessing it's something like this below (1/3rd stops), but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

24mm - f/2.8
28mm - f/2.8
35mm - f/3.2
50mm - f/3.5
70mm - f/4
85mm - f/4

Your guesses sound about right to me.

+1.

The AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 also has a 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm that I used pretty frequently. The 24-85 mm was my 'walk around' lens.
For the price - it's a great lens value.

macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm

I love that quality about it. The zoom versatility plus getting down to 1/2 life-size is VERY nice.

The 24-85 mm was my 'walk around' lens. For the price - it's a great lens value.

I'm selling my D3100 kit on Craigslist and have the 24-85 high on my "what to buy with the cash" list. Thing is, my Tamron 70-300mm does f/4 from 70-85mm already and has VC to boot, so I'm considering using the money to buy either a Tokina 12-24mm zoom or a Nikon AF-D 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 prime. My 50mm 1.8D already covers the mid-range and does fairly well as a walk-around lens, but after the crop factor, it's frequently not nearly as wide as I'd like.

Thoughts?

Update: I just tested a used version of this lens at my local shop this morning and here's the max apertures at each marked focal length (according to the D7000's top LCD) in case anyone else wanted to know. I likely would have bought it, but the zoom ring rubber was VERY loose and almost falling off the barrel. Plus, in MF, the focus ring was really gritty and rough when turned. They wanted $350 for it in this condition.

24mm - f/2.8
28mm - f/3.2
35mm - f/3.5
50mm - f/3.5
70mm - f/3.8
85mm - f/4

Image stabilization (VR/IS/OS/VC) is not worth the money on lenses having less than 200 mm of focal length.

In fact, for most shots using focal lengths longer than 200 mm image stabilization should be turned off on lenses that have it.

The first and most important rule of VR is this: never turn VR on unless it's actually needed.
Rule #2: VR should normally be off if your shutter speed is over 1/500.
Nikon VR explained

Last edited:
24mm: f/3.5
35mm: f/4
50mm: f/4.2
70mm: f/4.5
85mm: f/4.5

May I ask why you want the 24-85mm 2.8-4 and not the newer 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 ?

From all the reviews I saw the new lens is better and it has the VRII system.
Few weeks ago I bought this lens, I also have the 18-105mm and found the 24-85mm to be my everyday lens, its so sharp and I found the VR to be super helpful.
I shoot at speeds of as low as 1/10 and get good results when the VR is on.

24mm: f/3.5
35mm: f/4
50mm: f/4.2
70mm: f/4.5
85mm: f/4.5

I'm guessing these are with the macro switch turned on for close focusing?

thbanghead.gif
Pay no attention to the idiot with the reading comprehension problem. I listed the numbers for the G lens.

Carry on.

Image stabilization (VR/IS/OS/VC) is not worth the money on lenses having less than 200 mm of focal length.

In fact, for most shots using focal lengths longer than 200 mm image stabilization should be turned off on lenses that have it.

The first and most important rule of VR is this: never turn VR on unless it's actually needed.
Rule #2: VR should normally be off if your shutter speed is over 1/500.
Nikon VR explained
Thank you for this tip.

I am confused though, I have an old Nikon lens 70-210mm which I found to be deliciously good, sharp and crisp but I really need to have a fast shutter speed to freeze well the picture and get the results I want (it has no VR) so would you rather get a lens in this focal length with VR or without.

I listed the numbers for the G lens.

Quite alright. Now I know for that other 24-85 as well. :D

May I ask why you want the 24-85mm 2.8-4 and not the newer 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 ?

The reasons for my interest in the older lens were: faster max aperture, zoom range, and ability for 1:2 macro (one half life-size). I'm not a hard-core macro guy, but would like the ability to shoot closely on occasion.

That being said, after my latest purchase a couple days ago, I now have a 35 prime, a 50 prime and a 70-300 zoom, so buying a 24-85 is kind of a waste of money to me.

I could add just 2 more lenses to my stable and have ALL my photography needs completely covered:

• 20/24mm prime - Landscapes/architecture/groups
  • 35mm prime - Indoor walk-around/low-light
  • 50mm prime - Outdoor walk-around/low-light/portraits
  • 70-300 zoom - Wildlife/outdoor sports/portraits
  • 90/105mm prime - Macro/portraits
Since I just sold my D3100 kit, I'm now going to pick up either the first or last lens on that list. :)

Last edited:

What???? That is absolutely news to me, that VR on lengths longer that 200mm ought to be turned off. And I've shot literally thousands of shots with the 80-400mm VR Nikkor lens. This is the very,very first time I have EVER heard this...

Most reactions

Back