Question for the photoshop gurus.

The outer blurred or solid color portion is called a 'mat'.

The blurred mat is just a larger version of the image it frames, that has been run through the Gaussian blur filter or the Lens blur filter.

The outer frame is made by using the Canvas Size dialog in Relative mode and the Layer Style function on the 'mat layer' which is under the image layer.

BlurredMatDemo.jpg

Thanks guys, I new someone would find the right words for me to search with and thanks Keith for your explanation. Something for me to try now. Big canadian hugs to you all. :hug::

quick rendition....I didn't spend much time, just tried to get the general feel. could do more with the background and such....not perfect, but is this kinda what your going for? didn't really have a good picture that it would work with right now.

5413831767_481dca6507.jpg
[/url]
_DSC0017-Edit by rockstarrphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yes the frame within a frame, and yes its really trendy right now. That image you saw just took some award at our image salon convention and another alberta photographer i know has the same thing what won another award. So I want to play lol.

Well I'm absolutely not a guru but it seems like it would be easy enough...

Open the photo. Copy the layer. Add Layer Mask. Make a rectangular section of what you want in focus and then use the Fill tool to color that section Black (make sure you're drawing on the Mask, not the actual layer). Go to Filters and try Lens Blur and pump it to 100 (the Radius). It'll make the entire thing look insanely blurry. When you go back to your main picture the part you blacked out will be in focus, everything else will not. Then just make borders using the rectangle tool if you want to (make a new layer, then make 2 boxes for each frame - one a few pixels smaller than the other. Use the first colored in, then the second deletes out the middle). This pic took me like 3 minutes (while writing this)

5414454564_5938e26c56_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back