Question for you experienced pros...

thomaskrewe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm starting an online company that produces cutout images that will be printed on larger scale posters. My camera produces images with a maximum of 2448 pixels in height which means I can only produce an image 24" in height at 100ppi. I was hoping I could create images at least 36" in height at 100ppi. My question is what do I have to do to get the larger images with high resolutions? Is this a camera issue, a lens issue, a photo program (photoshop, illustrator, etc.) issue, or all of the above? It is crucial that I hit that 36" at 100ppi mark.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

JT

Well, normally I'd be willing to tell you that the number of pixels in an image, while not an indicator of quality, is going to get you huge prints, and one of the easier ways to get more pixels in a photo is getting a camera with more megapixels. But since I'm not an experienced pro, you'll have to wait for someone else to come along regarding this.

Another option is a program like Genuine Fractals....

Last edited:
Trust me, compared to me you are a pro. Any idea on the amount of megapixels needed to produce "huge" images that you refered to?

24" at 100dpi is poor quality in my book. Unless the image is being viewed from a significant distance away, you need more resolution.

You can "upsample" your image in a program like Photoshop. This process basically creates pixels via a complex algorithm. If you over do it, you will degrade your image, but it might be worth a try to see if if works for you.

I'm starting an online company that produces cutout images that will be printed on larger scale posters. My camera produces images with a maximum of 2448 pixels in height which means I can only produce an image 24" in height at 100ppi. I was hoping I could create images at least 36" in height at 100ppi. My question is what do I have to do to get the larger images with high resolutions?

LOL, turn your camera on its side. :D

Well I am beginning to get serious about photography, and as you can see I am very green. Any DSLR camera you'd recommend with high resolutions in images that are 36" to 48" in height? Alpha stated that 24" at 100ppi is poor resolution....what figures would constitute a great resolution?

Thanks.

300~400ppi

But seriously, if you turn you camera 90º you'll get more res than when using it in landscape mode (Horizontal).

For something like a poster, where you will be viewing it from a distance, you can use a lower PPI, such as 200ppi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back