Question: I want a good filter for...

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to take some shots through glass at the local museum. I hear there are filters that can be used to get rid of the glare from the glass cases. Can someone recommend a high quality filter (brand/company/model)?

I also hear there are good daylight filters. Are they a good idea? If so, what is a good one to have?

I would like to take some shots through glass at the local museum. I hear there are filters that can be used to get rid of the glare from the glass cases. Can someone recommend a high quality filter (brand/company/model)?

I also hear there are good daylight filters. Are they a good idea? If so, what is a good one to have?

You want a circular polarizer. I like B&W filters. Hoya has a good line too. I would avoid cheapie off brand ones though. My wife broke one while on a trip. So I picked one up at a local store near the park. Brand I never heard of. About 1/2 the cost of a good brand one. There is a definate difference between it and the B&W's I have.

One thing you can do is buy a good filter to fit your largest lens (or one you know your going to get if its larger). And then get some step up rings so you can mount it on your smaller lenses. That way only paying big bucks for the filter once. And the rings are not that much. So can get additional use from it.

For my largest lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9760-REG/B_W_65062162_77_mm_Circular_Polarizer.html

Another note, if you are going to use it on a wide angle. May need to get the slim version. On my 20-35 I do get some vignetting full wide. But I can live with it. A slim might solve the problem for me. But I am ok with it.

Last edited:

Sure, the uv can be used as a protection filter. Not sure if the warming filter will get much use. Deppends on you. I don't use the pouches either. Thats how the CP got broken on the trip. You can find hard cases for filters (plastic). I don't have any Hoya's but they have a good following.

Actually I think I would suggest this one. http://www.adorama.com/HY72CPLM.html?searchinfo=hoya%2072mm%20circular&item_no=1

The multicoated one is definately the way to go. I didn't list the B&W multicoated because they wanted $240 for it. I think $130 for a multicoated CP is a good deal.

No, you don't need most of that, those effects can be duplicated with good software. Invest in a good CP. Those are the best types of filters, and are the good investments, filter wise.

No, you don't need most of that, those effects can be duplicated with good software. Invest in a good CP. Those are the best types of filters, and are the good investments, filter wise.

Yes, treat the filter as if it was a good lens. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back