Question on expressions(eyes and mouth), poses, and lighting

Bismuthrainbow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I have some questions say for example I'm taking photos of people who have never modeled in their life what can I do as a photographer to get the perfect shot with their expressions and poses? Like what are some always do's and don't's when telling a person how to pose and how to fix their face? Also, lighting when it comes to close-ups, what are some good lighting techniques you can use?

Which lighting technique works best is determined in large part by the shape and nature of the person's face.
There are 6 basic portrait lighting styles short, broad, butterfly, Rembrandt, split, and loop.
Short lighting has the main light on the side of the person's face furthest from the camera.
Broad lighting has the main light on the side of the person's face closest to the camera.
Butterfly light has the light above the persons face and the shadow cast my the nose looks like a butterfly and is directly under the nose and symmetrical with the nose.

6 Portrait Lighting Patterns Every Photographer Should Know

There are hundreds of poses, and expressions are usually the result of the photographer's banter during a shoot. In other words the photographer has to be something of a psychologist as far as determining what banter gets each person to express in a way the photographer wants.

500 Poses for Photographing Men: A Visual Sourcebook for Digital Portrait Photographers
500 Poses for Photographing Women: A Visual Sourcebook for Portrait Photographers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back