Question on my new Canon 50mm 1.4

battletone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got my first new Canon lens that isn't the 18-55is. 50mm 1.4.

I have never used a USM before so is there a clutch inside? I noticed that when manually focusing, if I got until it stops, I can go further and keep going. Is this bad for it if it is normal?

Also, when manually overriding the AF, is that mostly on Single shot focus? I noticed on continuous focus it keeps focusing even if I hold the ring, and if I try turning it out of focus it just finds the focus again.

Anyways, I am excited. I mean to put it at 5.6-8 and test it against the kit lens to see what it really offers optically. The obvious faster aperture is what I wanted though, and I must say, the shallow DOF backgrounds are smooth as silk imo.

That's all normal.

Yeah - I think there is something similar to a clutch in there...

N.gif
takes me a while to get a feel for new things as well, but its pretty normal

It's a great little lens. I like it quite a bit more than the 1.8. You will really fall in love with that razor thin DoF and the insane low-light capabilities it opens up.

IMO the canon 50mm f/1.4 is far more worth it over the 50 f/1.8.

I have a canon EF 50 f/1.8, and the build quality is garbage. Optically though, it's alright at anything tighter than f/2.8. Nowhere even REMOTELY CLOSE to my Nikon 50G for sure though, but that again, $120 lens vs. $500 lens, so..

Most reactions

Back