Question, Outdoor flash usage

Kcc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Using flash wirelessly outdoor, what height do you usually adjust to? Could the height of the flash placed at around 6 feets? I haven't have a chance to try out my flash outdoor yet, coz my light stand haven't arrive yet *still*...

Also, do you recommend using diffuser like a small soft box (LumiQuest III 8 x 9") or umbrella (43")? Or just direct flash 5-8 feets away with a zoom of around 50 to 85mm (half body I assume)?

Thx!

Kcc

You can put the flash wherever you want. There's no set rule. That's the fun of lighting!

As for diffusion, go with the umbrella. And use your SB-900 on it. When you start diffusing you lose a lot of power, and outdoors, you're going to need a whole lot of punch. But you don't really need it unless you're shooting in golden hour, because you'll be dealing with a point light source (the sun) anyway. If that's what you're shooting under, might as well just blast away.

The height of your light totally depends on what you are trying to do. As a main light on a model, it's fairly common to have the light slightly higher than the model's face. Look for catchlights at ten or two o'clock.

Using a softbox will certainly soften the light...the bigger the box/surface the softer the light. So an umbrella is an easy way to get much softer light. However, they will also eat some light and sometimes you need all the power you can get.

Keep in mind also that the closer your umbrella or softbox is to the subject the bigger that light source will be relative to the subject, which will diffuse more naturally. Also, because of the inverse square law, you will have more light to work with the closer it is to the subject. That said, think about placing it/them so it's just barely out of the frame and you can dial down the power if need be, which will result also in faster recharge cycle time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back