Questions on external flashes for macro and high-speed capture.

thezeronumber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I would like to get into macro and high-speed photography but I have a few questions about what lighting set-up I should be using for both and I'd appreciate any help. I've done research on the topics and I think I have a good grasp on everything but the external flashes and flash triggers. If it has any relevance I will be using a combination of reversing rings and extension tubes on a Canon 600d with a DIY diffuser for macro work.

1. How important is automatic exposure where macro photography is concerned? I thought everything had to be set-up manually as I was under the impression that extension tubes would mess with the automatic settings but the other day someone suggested I use TTL flashes and now I am doubting myself.

2. There's nothing wrong with avoiding the pricey Canon speedlites for what I want to do, right? I've been considering the lower-end stuff such as the YN-560 III (if going manual) or YN-565 ETTTL (if going automatic) which can be picked up for £43 and £88 respectively. I don't think I'll need high-speed sync and I can't see any obvious reason why those flashes wouldn't do the job but I'm still not sure. I think their lowest power output should be fast enough to freeze motion (be it outdoors for macro or in a dark room) as I've seen speeds of 1/20,000s on a 1/128 setting being thrown around on the net.

3. Similar to the above, would the transceivers RF-603 (manual) or YN-622 (automatic) all work as I want them to? That is to say I put one on my hotshoe and the rest on the flashes, triggering them all simultaneously when I release the shutter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Even though my flashes have TTL capabilities, I rarely use that setting. Instead, I use manual. If I were to do it all again, I would choose the lesser priced Vivatar units.

If you mean stopped-action when you say high-speed, like capturing a bullet bursting a balloon, you will also need an audio trigger. The guy I'm linking below, Desmond Downs, knows his stuff with this type of photography. He used to be quite active on photocamel-dot-com and may still be. He does have a video on TTL flash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the reply and video links. Something like that, yes, I'm planning to start with water drop capture which seems to be the go-to thing for those starting in this field of photography. I know it's possible to take sharp and detailed images with little more than a camera and a flash unit if the user has patience and that's something I intend to try out before going any further. I briefly looked at laser/sound triggers and what they are capable of, they're something I want to use once I have a bit more experience and knowledge in the subject.

For water drops, all you need is a speedlight (or three), patience and some imagination.

For example.....

Water%20Drop%202%2016x20-L.jpg

Setup:
Setup%20Shots-Water%20Drops-L.jpg

Water%20Drops-116%20a-L.jpg

Setup:
Water%20Drops%20for%20wall%20display-300-L.jpg

Water drops are a fun way to pass the time. If you do a search on TPF, there are many examples.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back