Question to Nikon owners who shoot in RAW

Vinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read that Nikon uses a proprietary RAW process that needs its own software to pull the image out. I've also read that the standard software Nikon issues is not complete (?) and it's higher level software is (??).

I don't plan on shooting RAW that often but hey if its there then it might be nice to play around with when I want to be creative.

Can someone tell me if the standard is good enough.

I am sure you will get lots of view on this question, but i will tell you what i tell my students. Try the free software given to you by the camera maker and when you out grow it, if you do, then consider options.

Capture NX2 is certainly contains more tools and "toys" to play with but if your not shooting raw enough to warrant the cost right now, download a trial version. You might try a dealer who sells the software as Nik also has a dvd that allows a trial version for 60 days. Online might be the same length of time, but i don't know .

there is another piece of software developed by someone involved with the nikon products that you could also try, it is called toneup3 and cost about 20 dollars and uses the math from nikon for converting raw and they also have a trial period. I have no connection with them except the fact i tested out the software and found the fellow to be very helpful with his support.

what other editing program do you all ready own, which may convert the RAW files?

which camera are you using and just be sure the software supports that model.

I believe picasa will do RAW at this time.

"Good enough" is really up to individual standards , so that is why i am suggesting options.

As mentioned, Picasa (free) will open the RAW files - but you loose a lot of the things you shoot RAW for (adjust exposure, white balance, etc).

You can use any raw converter you want/feel comfortable and tweak the image to what you want it to be, however, an advantage of using Camera Manufacturer's native software, Capture NX2 in this case, is that it'll read you camera's settings.

I shoot standard with sharpness at 5, saturation increased and custum WB. In anything other then Capture, it takes longer time to process RAW files to my liking. When shooting JPG, LR and PS do MORE then enough...

Last edited:
Adobe has plugins for all NEF (nikon RAW) files. For me they work great and pretty easy to install. I can imagine that GIMP might have RAW abilities since it is open source, or has readily accessible plugins that can make it work.

Lightroom is good.

PS has Camera Raw that will open RAW files (Some newer cameras may require a plugin like my D300s RAW files won't open in PS3 apparently the plugin is good in PS4 though) I never needed a plugin for my RAW files from my D80 though even in PS3.

I use NX to convert the NEF to TIFF, this is because NX does a much better job on skintones than the Adobe RAW converter.

I then work on the TIFFS in Photoshop.

Bibble is also a well regarded RAW converter.

I've read that Nikon uses a proprietary RAW process that needs its own software to pull the image out. I've also read that the standard software Nikon issues is not complete (?) and it's higher level software is (??).

I don't plan on shooting RAW that often but hey if its there then it might be nice to play around with when I want to be creative.

Can someone tell me if the standard is good enough.
Most camera makers have a proprietary RAW data format. Each camera maker usually produces a unique format for each camera model so if you upgrade your camera you also have to upgrade your RAW converter.

Nikon's View NX, which comes with each camera, can display your RAW images. If need be you can go to Nikon's USA web site and down load View NX for free.

Adobe has a free, universal RAW converter for "Digital Negatives": Adobe - Search: DNG

I convert my Nikon .nef files using Adobe Photoshop's, Adobe Camera RAW (ACR).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back