Questions about RAW files

JPmkV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've tried searching around for information about this topic, but I can't find anything that can clearly answer my questions.

When I import images to my computer I use iphoto on my mac. The image quality on my canon is set to RAW; however, when I import the images to iphoto they are converted to JPEG. So my questions to you are: Is there any way to convert my JPEG files back to raw? What program should I be using to import my images to keep the RAW format? (free programs would be ideal)

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

To maintain the files as raw, you simply use the software that came with the camera.
You cannot convert a jpeg to raw.

i used iphoto initially before i switched to lightroom... the RAW file is maintained in a "masters" folder and the file you're working on in iphoto can be exported as "original" which is RAW, or another form (JPEG, etc).

if you go to finder and click on documents - pictures - iphoto library (right-click and choose "show package contents" (or something like that)), you'll see a file folder called "masters" your RAW files are in there, unchanged.

you can use your camera's software as well like was mentioned, but i wanted to let you know that iphoto does work with RAW and maintain that file format.

Last edited by a moderator:
To maintain the files as raw, you simply use the software that came with the camera.

Ahh, thanks for the info. Unfortunately buying my camera used I didn't get any of the software with it. :(

Ahh, thanks for the info. Unfortunately buying my camera used I didn't get any of the software with it. :(

What camera do you have... the software is most likely free.

i used iphoto initially before i switched to lightroom... the RAW file is maintained in a "masters" file and the file you're working on in iphoto can be exported as "original" which is RAW, or another form (JPEG, etc).

if you go to finder and click on documents - pictures - iphoto library (right-click and choose "show package contents" (or something like that)), you'll see a file folder called "masters" your RAW files are in there, unchanged.

you can use your camera's software as well like was mentioned, but i wanted to let you know that iphoto does work with RAW and maintain that file format.

Perfect. Thank you very much! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, check out the LightRoom trial

Also, check out the LightRoom trial

Thank you! I actually have downloaded the Lightroom 3 trial, however, I have yet to use it to import images. After the trial is over will I loose those images?

Most reactions

Back