What's new

Tool for Adding Metadata to Image Files?

William Baroo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Messages
255
Reaction score
34
Location
FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Buying Elements was a huge blunder. Affinity won't keep up with lenses as they come out. Lightroom costs $240 per year, every year. I am trying out Photolab9, and basically, it looks like the answer to my prayers.

One minor thing: Photolab can't help organize files the same way Lightroom can.

It would be nice to be able take a batch of raw and jpg files and shove EXIF data into them. For example, if I use a lens that doesn't talk to my camera, and I want to be able to pull up a file later and know what lens I used.

Does anyone have a program to recommend? Has to work on batches, and I don't want anything that affects the images. Exiftool has been recommended to me, but I have not heard from anyone who uses it for this purpose.
 
Buying Elements was a huge blunder. Affinity won't keep up with lenses as they come out. Lightroom costs $240 per year, every year. I am trying out Photolab9, and basically, it looks like the answer to my prayers.

One minor thing: Photolab can't help organize files the same way Lightroom can.

It would be nice to be able take a batch of raw and jpg files and shove EXIF data into them. For example, if I use a lens that doesn't talk to my camera, and I want to be able to pull up a file later and know what lens I used.

Does anyone have a program to recommend? Has to work on batches, and I don't want anything that affects the images. Exiftool has been recommended to me, but I have not heard from anyone who uses it for this purpose.
Adobe Bridge is a free download, but you need to create a free Adobe Account. It is a file browser, so it has no catalog like Lightroom, but much of the same functionality. This is a chatbot solution for how to add your lens data, but if you get Bridge, you will have to seek some help in doing these tasks. I don't use it for that.

You can batch add lens info in Bridge:
  1. Select all the images you want to update.
  2. Open the Metadata panel.
  3. Enter your lens info in the Lens / Lens Model field.
  4. Click File → Save Metadata to File.
For RAW files, this info goes into XMP sidecars; for JPEG/TIFF, it’s written into the files.
You can also make a metadata template and apply it to many images at once to save time.
 
Thanks. I got ExiftoolGUI to work, and it doesn't look too bad. I am going to see what I can do with it before checking anything else.
 
Buying Elements was a huge blunder. Affinity won't keep up with lenses as they come out. Lightroom costs $240 per year, every year. I am trying out Photolab9, and basically, it looks like the answer to my prayers.

One minor thing: Photolab can't help organize files the same way Lightroom can.

It would be nice to be able take a batch of raw and jpg files and shove EXIF data into them. For example, if I use a lens that doesn't talk to my camera, and I want to be able to pull up a file later and know what lens I used.

Does anyone have a program to recommend? Has to work on batches, and I don't want anything that affects the images. Exiftool has been recommended to me, but I have not heard from anyone who uses it for this purpose. Insta Pro APK is a modified version of Instagram that offers extra features not available in the official app. Many users enjoy the ability to customize their feed, download stories, and access hidden options. You can Download the APK from trusted sources to explore these features, but always be cautious about security. It’s popular for people who want a more flexible Instagram experience without restrictions. Make sure to keep your device protected and avoid giving unnecessary permissions. Overall, Insta Pro APK can be a fun way to enhance your social media experience safely.
You can use ExifTool for this. It’s perfect for batch editing EXIF data without affecting the image itself. It works on both RAW and JPG files, letting you add or correct lens info, dates, or other metadata. If you prefer a graphical interface instead of the command line, tools like ExifToolGUI, XnView MP, or Adobe Bridge make batch EXIF editing easier while keeping your images untouched. These options allow you to organize and tag your files effectively without needing Lightroom.
 
You can use ExifTool for this. It’s perfect for batch editing EXIF data without affecting the image itself. It works on both RAW and JPG files, letting you add or correct lens info, dates, or other metadata. If you prefer a graphical interface instead of the command line, tools like ExifToolGUI, XnView MP, or Adobe Bridge make batch EXIF editing easier while keeping your images untouched. These options allow you to organize and tag your files effectively without needing Lightroom.
Good advice. I'll add that Irfanview also does EXIF editing and also free.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom