Questions about specific landscape features

IgneousIsBliss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a week I will be starting my hike of the John Muir Trail. Meaning I will be in the Sierra Nevadas of CA for 30+ days, with ample time to shoot absolutely breathtaking views. However, I am still a newbie and have a couple of questions.
If it helps, the gear I am bringing is my Canon XT, 18-55 lens, a ND filter and circ polarizer. And of course an extra CF card and 4 extra batteries (which will have to last me 18-20 days). I will also be able to borrow a tripod if I need one, since one of the people I am going with is taking one! I'm definitely not carrying mine.

Fog/morning mist: What is the best way to capture it? I hope to get up extra early the mornings we camp near a lake to catch the fog rolling off of it. For some reason, I have a feeling getting the fog/mist to show up on camera isn't as straightforward as one might think.

Snow: Since the Sierras got 200% snowfall this year, we will be seeing plenty of it while we are there. I have never shot snow before, and am worried about exposure issues. Will the filters be enough so that the sun reflecting on the snow isn't a problem? I've just seen too many pictures where the photographer lost all detail in the snow because it was so overexposed.

I was also hoping to try HDR for the first time, but I suppose I'll post my questions about that in the appropriate forum.

I will be able to shoot so many different scenes all in one trip: mountains, snow, meadows, fields of wildflowers, waterfalls and cascades, sunrises and sunsets, lakes, forests, wildlife, etc. So any advice, general or specific, you have on landscape and nature shots would be truly appreciated. I know that the "golden hours" are dusk and dawn but I will most likely be shooting all day because we have to keep hiking in order to get to our next camp.

Thanks in advance,
Katie

Fog/morning mist, check this one out to start for ideas: How to Take Photos in Fog, Mist or Haze

Snow, check this one out to start: NYIP - Winter Photography | Winter Pictures | Snow Pictures | Winter Images | NYIP As they state, a bit of EV compensation is required. I usually compensate by 1.5 to 2 EVs. If you don't get it right, then sometimes you can get help from your photo editing software...

You might also want to look at this one...Winter Photography | FACzen Photography Blog

Hope this helps a bit and do have fun on your trip.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks, WesternGuy! Those articles were very helpful! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great trip, I'd love to do something like that some day.

Fog/morning mist: What is the best way to capture it? I hope to get up extra early the mornings we camp near a lake to catch the fog rolling off of it. For some reason, I have a feeling getting the fog/mist to show up on camera isn't as straightforward as one might think.
Fog & mist isn't really hard to capture in a photo. For the most part, if you can see it, you can shoot it. When shooting that type of thing, it's a good time to experiment with over or under exposed images, just to see what you might get.

Snow: Since the Sierras got 200% snowfall this year, we will be seeing plenty of it while we are there. I have never shot snow before, and am worried about exposure issues. Will the filters be enough so that the sun reflecting on the snow isn't a problem? I've just seen too many pictures where the photographer lost all detail in the snow because it was so overexposed.
The problem with snow, is that it's so much brighter than most anything else you will be shooting with it. For example, if there is some snow and some bare ground, the snow will be 3, 4, 5, times as bright as the ground. So if you set your exposure to for the ground/sky/trees etc, the snow will be blown out. But if you set your exposure to keep detail in the snow, the rest of the image will be underexposed. Given the choice, it's often a better choice to let the snow blow out.
When you are shooting with a lot of snow in the scene, you have to be aware that it will trick your camera's meter, giving you underexposed shots. So you end up with dark details and grey snow. So when metering off of snow, you will have to expose above the camera's meter (positive exposure compensation if you're in any of the auto modes).
A neutral density filter won't really help, because it will darken the whole scene, leaving you with the same difference between the snow and the rest of the scene.

I know that on a trip like this, every ounce is important and you don't want to pack more than you have to. But if Photography is your goal, I'd strongly suggest bringing a tripod...Even if your friends has one. Unless you are just going to share the photos afterward, you are likely going to want to shoot many of the same things, at the same time (but maybe from different spots etc.) Also, if you end up trying to share a tripod, it could get very annoying...especially if you are going to be with that person, 24 hours a day for a month.

If you can't go out and buy an ultra-light, carbon fiber tripod, then maybe look for a smaller (cheaper) one.

Thanks for the advice :) I'm writing down everything you guys say!
I considered bringing my tripod, or biting the bullet and getting a lighter one, but we had some unexpected costs and additional weight recently (crampons & ice axe) which made that impossible. You're definitely right though - it WILL be quite annoying to keep having to borrow someone's, but he will actually be shooting video most of the time (he is shooting a documentary) and insisted that I will be able to borrow his tripod. So hopefully, that works out! Unfortunately carrying mine is just not an option as I weigh 112 lbs and am already carrying 42 on my back...:(

I have often used a monopod as a walking stick while taking short hikes. For something longer, I might get a proper hiking stick that had a camera attachment. It's not a replacement for a tripod, but it's better than not using any support.

Also, I keep one of THESE in my main camera bag...not idea, but better than nothing.

If you want to shoot early in the morning and late in the evening, and you want to use a circular polarizer and/or a ND filter, then you will have to be on a tripod unless you are willing to shoot at very high ISO. Borrowing one will be fine as long as it is available when you want it.

FYI, I was in the Smokey Mtns last weekend and had a chance to shoot a couple of pics one evening on a river there. I was using a CP and had the lens set to f22 for max depth of field. ISO was set to 800, and I still needed a 30s exposure! Granted it was cloudy and I was surrounded by trees, but I was quite surprised what it took to get the shot.

Very envious of your trip btw!

Most reactions

Back