Questions before purchase on new cam kit

hyg71886

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I originally was going to purchase a d90 but the d7000 is a bit newer and only 177 more. I will be using this for family photos, outdoor (hiking/camping/etc), hobby mainly. I will possibly get into doing some portraits for money but after I take some classes. Listed below is all the gear I will be ordering in a few days, any recommendations for better equipment vs price is appreciated. Everything is amazon.com except the camera

Nikon D7000 (body only) (627 @ bestpricephoto.com)

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX (199)

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM (349)

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 (33)

Mefoto A1350Q1K Roadtrip Travel Tripod (189) or Dolica GX650B204 Proline GX (70) Is the Mefoto worth the extra money?

Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (17)

Lowepro LP36434-PWW Photo Hatchback 22L AW (109)

What do yall think?

Can't really help you on the camera and lenses (I shoot Canon). But for information about the tripod, everything I've read is don't skimp on this. You get what you pay for and you want something solid and well built to hold your camera and lens.

Agreed .. and a cheaper tripod is generally going to support less weight. That will become a problem as you use larger lenses. Better to spend the money on a sturdy one now and already have the support as you upgrade.

Ok I'll go with the more expensive one then. What do yall think about the camera?

If I were choosing I would go for the D7000. It's worth the extra money just for the newer, more capable auto focus module.

If I were choosing I would go for the D7000. It's worth the extra money just for the newer, more capable auto focus module.

Yes I am def going with the d7000, what do you think of the 2 lenses and other equipment? My fiance is a lil concerned because I just spent 1800 on a HTPC o well she will like it. Also should I get an external flash when I order all this?

It's a good kit other than the cheap tripods. But tripods isn't necessarily an area where I endorse only high-end. The other stuff will be fine. It's not as much about equipment as it is your ability craft light with it. Don't get hung up on marginal technical advantages of expensive stuff. If you want to be technical, don't buy any more than you can push the limits of.

You don't like the mefoto tripod? I thought they made good stuff

The fewer leg sections the more stable the tripod. Most travel tripods have more leg sections so they can be made more compact for packing. The bottom leg sections get pretty small in diameter, and that hurts stability.

The MeFOTO tripod legs only have 2 positions, not 3, and it looks like the center column cannot be cantilevered.

For about the same money you might look at the Giottos MT line of aluminum tripods.
Giottos MT9360 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod Series III Professional
Giottos.com

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
do u not even like the Mefoto globtrotter carbon fiber?

D7000 is a good camera. I would go with bundled 18-105 VR instead of the Sigma. If you absolutely need a zoom from 18 to 200+ then go for Sigma 18-250. It is a newer design and slightly better. Otherwise, start with 18-105 and add a 70-300 (or cheaper 55-300) later.

The D7000 is a wonderful camera and you are right to go with it.

I personally would recommend going for the 18-105mm
70-300mm VR
50mm 1.8G
The 18-200mm is trying to be many things and I have read its a bit of a soft lens.
The 18-105mm is a great basic everyday lens and the 70-300mm VR is a very sharp lens up to 200mm and even though its getting a bit softer as you getting up to the 300mm it is stil very good and very usable.
The 50mm 1.8 is in my eyes a better prime lens then the 35mm and I think more usable.

the D90 was a great camera, but for only a little more money the D7000 is a pretty significant upgrade in sensor, AF, and ISO performance. I would definitely go with the D7000 if it is within your budget.

The D7000 is a wonderful camera and you are right to go with it.

I personally would recommend going for the 18-105mm
70-300mm VR
50mm 1.8G
The 18-200mm is trying to be many things and I have read its a bit of a soft lens.
The 18-105mm is a great basic everyday lens and the 70-300mm VR is a very sharp lens up to 200mm and even though its getting a bit softer as you getting up to the 300mm it is stil very good and very usable.
The 50mm 1.8 is in my eyes a better prime lens then the 35mm and I think more usable.
Why do you say the 50mm over the 35mm lens i listed?

Most reactions

Back