Questions importing photos into PSE and Camera Raw program

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have the Nikon D7000 and the software that came with it as well as PSE 11.
I import from the card into PSE 11. When I want to open a photo in the Editor portion, the Camera Raw 7.1 box appears to let me make changes to photo before opening in Editor.
If I make the changes in Camea Raw, are my original Raw photos also changed?
It also lets me save it as an 8 bit. Is it easier to do this 8 bit conversion now or after I finish editing in Editor? Again, does it change my original Raw photo?

And under Photomerge, the is an ' merge exposure', when would I use that? I have used just the merge for panorama on 2 occasions..
Thanks, Nancy

RAW photos are never changed; if you look in the file location for the photos you've uploaded then after you edit htem you'll notice a second file is made per processed RAW photo. This file contains all the adjustments you've made to that photo. Each time you open up the photo the RAW editor will read that file and apply the changes automatically (updating the file if you change things).

The only time those settings are "saved" to the photo is when you save the RAW file as something else (eg a JPEG or TIFF) which then saves that as a separate file (so again your RAW is left untouched).

Generally speaking bit conversion is best done as late as possible; though if elements is still like it was when I last had it then its got a limit on what it can do in different bit modes so if most things are locked out I'd convert to 8bit then.

You might want to look through the TPF forum intended for Graphics Programs topics.

Camera Raw is PIEware - a Parametic Image Editing application that cannot change the pixels in the Raw file.
So your original file is never altered.

A Raw converter uses algorithms to make the digital file ones and zeros (1001101010101010111000011101010101) look like a photo.
The algorithms are XML line commands. Each Camera Raw slider/tool/function has an algorithm.
All of those line commands are in a 'side car' file. You can choose to have the side car files be embedded in the Raw file, or adjacent to but outside of the Raw file as a separate file. If you have the side car file separated from the Raw file, if you move the Raw file you also have to move the side car file.
When you edit a Raw file you change a numerical value one of the XML line commands.

If you would like to see the line commands, open a Raw file with Windows Notepad.

Image editing experts recommend keeping a image file in the 16-bit color depth until you have done all the edits that can be done in 16-bit mode.
Elements is pretty much limited to 8-bit edits once you move a file out of Camera Raw, which severely limits it's usefulness.
Also, Elements Camera Raw has only 1/2 of the tools, capabilities, and functions Photoshop CC 2014 Camera Raw or Lightroom Develop module have. ( All 3 - Elements, CC 2014, LR - use Adobe Camera Raw.)

Most reactions

Back