Questions on my new 50mm lens

fotogenik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok I bought my Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime lens today. Had to buy it used because noone in town had a new one till monday and I want to shoot with it this weekend.

I am curious about the aperture ring around the end nearest the camera body. The number 22 is in red and any time I Move the ring off that setting my camera won't function. Even in fully manual mode it just gives me a flashing error message in the window of F33.

Can anyone tell me what this means? My sigma lens does the same thing.

I'm not a Nikon user. This is what my conclusion is, based on your post.

You are using an old lens with a new digital camera. Your camera does not require you to manually change the aperture on the lens. The camera changes the aperture electronically. Setting the lens to f/22 is what allows the camera to control the aperture settings.

that's exactly right...have fun with the 50mm...it'll be your new favorite.....also the 1.8 apeture will blow you away if your used to a 3.3....

theinvisiblecity said:
that's exactly right...have fun with the 50mm...it'll be your new favorite.....also the 1.8 apeture will blow you away if your used to a 3.3....
Yeah first real picture with the lens:

No depth of field in this one tho. Just a funny sign I saw goin down the road last night and I had to go back and take a shot of it this morning. You can click the image to see it in a bigger size in my Archive Gallery.

Most reactions

Back