Questions on upgrading

I too shoot witht he 7D. Unlike many who moan and grown about issues with the 7D and low light I am lost by these complaint. Maybe somehow I got a 7D where all the pieces meshed perfectly together. I don't know.

I live in Las Vegas, so burning shots at night are very common place for me. Most night shots are hand held with no flash. There are cheap programs to clean up grain/noise becomes and issue. While the 7D chip set may not be the cutting edge, the camera has a dual chip set with awesome processing ability, it's an incredible all around camera that can do just about anything you desire. Portaits, cityscapes, planes, games, automobiles, etc haven't been a problem and I definitely do not have that awesome 70-200 2.8 lens. I am broke as hell so I am shooting with the the 28-135 kits lens (mine seems to shoot excellent quality too) and a cheap 50mm 1.8 lens that is so sharp... when I use it.

Many feel the need to have the best of the best. If you can afford the latest, definitely go for it. But if you know how to use your gear the 7D is an excellent camera that no one can shake a stick at, much less complain about. Personally, I would only swap my camera for a Canon 5DIII. But that's just me. With all the new kit available you can pick up some older models, like the 7d, on the cheap. The 7D with that killer lens of your would equate to heavy quality and reach.

Full frame is the way to go if you can afford it and get the speed you need for the action you shoot on a regular basis.

Here's a few image from my 7D.

This shot is a sunny Las Vegas day, not clouds. Shot this under an awning using a cheap flash for the first time. This is actually my second image with the flash.

Shot on another skyless day as you can see with a plane landing at McCarron Airport. Even at the 135mm max of my lens, still got to crop a little to get that close up shot. The 18mp image makes it easy.

Night-time shots in downtown Las Vegas under the Freemont experience on one of the two (now three) main stages. No flash, hand-held up next to the stage. The black and white conversion looks great too.

Another under the Freemont shot, hand-held. The text on the sign kinda says it all.

Good luck with your choice. It's a very personal decision but research the crapola out of it. I went dug into everything vacillating between a Nikon, Pentax and Canon. I had decided on the 50D, also based on budget, but at the 12th hour the 7D practically fell in my lap. Wanted it, but couldn't afford it. I am more than satisfied with my choice. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back