Quick editing question

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I export my Raw files out of lightroom into JPEG format I get pretty large file sizes. I am assuming this is because I am exporting with high quality and a high resolution. Is there a way to make the file size smaller without losing quality?

I think the answer is no, there is always a quality trade off with file size, however you may not need the extra quality. Typically for web viewing your pics don't need to be as good as they do for print, so I do most of my jpegs at 1024 pixels on the long side, 72ppi. If I want to print them I'll do them full size and 300ppi which can easily give me a good quality A3 size print, but the file size is a lot bigger

I figured that was going to be the answer haha. I was just curious to see if there was some sort of way. Thanks for the help!

Note that the ppi value stored in the JPEG file has no effect on image quality. You could set it to 3000 ppi or 30 ppi and it would be the same image.

For web viewing, there is no PPI. Only the pixel dimensions count.
You can set 1 ppi or 1000 ppi for electronic display and the image size won't change. Try it here at TPF.
Make 2 duplicates of an image (never edit an original) leave the pixel dimensions the same for each but assign 1 ppi to one of them and 1000 ppi to the other and post both in the Test Forum.
A web site may resize it so the entire image can be displayed on the screen, but that isn't PPI.

PPI only has meaning for prints.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back