Quick Photoshop question

Richard Austin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wonder if someone can provide feedback on this question...

I'm working in greyscale in Photoshop and whenever I use the 'Curves' or 'Brightness/Contrast' functionality I find, after making and previewing changes, that the chenges are not fully made to my image. The contrast/brightness changes are less than shown in the preview window.

After making the changes, I can see a kind of additional 'grey level' placed over my image by Photoshop and the amount of contrast/brightness I requested is not occuring.

Is there some preference of some control I have missed that is stopping the contrast/brightness changes being made as I would like?

The images are 8-bit, greyscale.

Thanks for any asisstance!

The brightness/contrast adjustment is crap, unless you're using CS3 avoid it at all costs.
Are the images coming into the computer in grayscale?

I find that the best workflow is to edit images in RGB, then convert to grayscale using the channel mixer if you're using CS2 or below, or a B&W adjustment layer if you're using CS3.

Is there a specific reason that you're working in grayscale mode?

Hello Richard,

I don't know if I even qualify to answer your question but I have a way of converting color image to black and white that might help when it comes to adjusting the Curves, Brightness and Contrast.

First open your color image then click on:

1. Image / Mode / Lab
2. Lightness Channel
3. Image / Mode / Grayscale
4. Image / Mode / RGB
5. Save as ...

Hope this helps

ditch the greyscale, google dr brown and download his scripts or follow his tutorials, pretty much as above but the scripts do it for ya. H

Try flatten the image first and start over again.

The brightness/contrast adjustment is crap, unless you're using CS3 avoid it at all costs.
Are the images coming into the computer in grayscale?

I find that the best workflow is to edit images in RGB, then convert to grayscale using the channel mixer if you're using CS2 or below, or a B&W adjustment layer if you're using CS3.

Is there a specific reason that you're working in grayscale mode?

Yes, I've used the Channel Mixer to get my images into B&W, but then wanted to use a 'grain' filter and found I got better effects by also converting into greyscale.

Hello Richard,

I don't know if I even qualify to answer your question but I have a way of converting color image to black and white that might help when it comes to adjusting the Curves, Brightness and Contrast.

First open your color image then click on:

1. Image / Mode / Lab
2. Lightness Channel
3. Image / Mode / Grayscale
4. Image / Mode / RGB
5. Save as ...

Hope this helps

Thanks! Haven't tried that, so will check it out... :)

ditch the greyscale, google dr brown and download his scripts or follow his tutorials, pretty much as above but the scripts do it for ya. H

Thanks for the tip. I googled 'dr brown' but all I got was "Dr. Brown's Natural Flow® Baby Bottle and Breast Pumps"!
Couldn't see anything on the Goolge page for his tutorials. Do you have a URL? Thanks :)

Try flatten the image first and start over again.

Will try that, but I'm thinking now the problem may lie with me using a 'grain' filter and then using Curves to further change contrast. The grain fiilter may 'smudge' things together after each Curve settings change....

Most reactions

Back