What's new

Quick question about prices increasing on photo equipment.

redhrse03

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 8, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
U. S. A.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been saving to buy some new gear to add to my growing collection and noticed that in the last month the cost of new cameras and lenses have increased substantially. Is this due to the earth quakes in Japan and a supply shortage? If so is there a feeling that photo gear will decrease in price in the future? What I have been shopping is the new Canon 7d and the 24-70 L f/2.8 lens and the 70-200 L f/2.8 IS lens. Thanks for any feed back!!
 
I purchased my Sigma 70-200m 2.8 in February from a very good locale store. At the time I was looking at 3 different lenses and was told by the store owner to buy the most expensive one now as they knew pricing were going up over the next 2-3 months on all photo equipement. This was prior to the earthquake.

I purchased the 70-200mm for $799 (same pricing as online B&H). That same lens went up to $950 in March, again prior to the earthquake.

They said the increase had something to do with the strength of the yen to dollar.

I am sure the earthquake has not helped the pricing situation either.
 
Last edited:
Now that I think of it.....I wonder if the value of the yen will weaken due to the earthquake and we might see some prices reduce....once they have manufacturing back at full force.

I would imagine it will take years for Japan's economy to recover and stabalize the yen after such a large natural disaster.
 
Prices have always been going up, even before the earthquake/tsunami.

I would say most of it is just inflation, and whatever isn't inflation is supply/demand.


I haven't bought any new lenses in a few years, but all of the ones I have cost considerably more now than I paid then. I could probably even sell them on the used market for more than I paid, but it still wouldn't be enough to replace it.
 
Yup ... good quality lenses price always goes up.

Josh, I remember you (or someone) said you pick up the EF 50mm f/1.4 new for $275 awhile back. And that is the price I paid for a used one last year. :(
 
Yup ... good quality lenses price always goes up.

Josh, I remember you (or someone) said you pick up the EF 50mm f/1.4 new for $275 awhile back. And that is the price I paid for a used one last year. :(

Just checked my reciept (I still have them all) - I paid $315 for it 4 years ago (new from B&H). B&H sells it new for $450 and KEH doesn't seem to have any used ones right now. They're selling the new ones for $450 as well.

I take good care of my gear, so it still looks brand new. I bet I could get what I paid for it ... maybe more. (Not going to sell it though, lol.)
 
In a way, the prices always going up is a good thing. Your lenses, unlike a camera body, for example, will generally hold their value very well. DSLR's from a few years ago sell for just a fraction of what they were new... And 35mm SLR's are even cheaper.

You could buy a lens, use it for a few years, then sell it for close to what you paid. Granted, everything will be more expensive by then, but it will still be worth at least 80% of what you paid if it's in decent shape. That's a good start on funding the upgrade.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and make the investment.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom