Quick question

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sigma 105 mm F2.8 EX DG Macro looking at this lens as opposed to the 18mm -105mm F3.5 - 5.6 VR that comes with the kit. Now I have limited experience with lenses but plan on doing of course portrait work with my kids etc since I am a MWAC lol. Is this lens something better to start out with as opposed to one with some zoom capabality. Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I keep tossing the idea of the kit lens with either a decent quality zoom plus prime 50mm and stumbled across this.

the Sigma is a Macro lens, so that is something to take into consideration. What body are you working with?

From Photozone.de review of the lens.....

Verdict

The Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG is an excellent lens without any significant flaw. It's optically as good as the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro. The lens has a very good build quality though not quite as nice as the Canon due to its focus extension system and the conventional AF drive. However, the price tag is also lower so if you're on a budget the lens is certainly worth a deep thought (as is the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP).
Optical Quality:
4star.gif
Mechanical Quality:
4star.gif
Price/Performance:
5star.gif

Yeah, get that lens or the T90 and add in either a 35mm f1.8 50mm f1.4 or one of the great mid range zooms like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Sigma 18-50 f2.8 HSM (the latter two options being my recommendation). If you can afford it, I'd do that over messing with the kit lens (though not a particualarly bad lens).

Nikon D90 is the body, and I am leaning more towards putting out a couple extra hundred for the good lens as opposed to the ok kit lens and I was planning on getting a prime. Now if I can find a good midrange zoom that I can afford yay but everything I have seen locally is a bit more than I can spend right now. Thanks for the input. Im off to the camera store tomorrow for test shots with each and I really appreciate the advise.

I wouldn't really consider that sigma a portrait lens, or the 18-105. You could look into a 85 mm 1.8, or the 50 mm 1.8 for portraits, and maybe a 24-70 for a walkaround.

Most reactions

Back