quick question...

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
for all of you that have used a circular polarized filter...

1. could they be used to take pictures of just about anything to enhance the colors?

2. do they work better with color or b&w film?

thanks!

sean

I just got a polarizer for christmas and have only had limited use with it, but it does seem to enhance colors. Seems to work better in brighter light. No B & W experience yet tho, sorry

yes, you can use a polarizer for many situations. you can reduce/eliminate reflections from glass and non-metal surfaces, and increase saturation as well.

depending on what you're shooting, you can make a difference with BW film.

to maximize polarization, your light source has to be at a 90 deg angle to the camera. if you point at your subject, and raise your thumb (like you;re shooting a gun), that's where the sun should be for maximum polarization.

to eliminate the reflection off a glass surface, for example a store window, shoot it at a 30 degree angle.

sean

are you looking into getting a circular polarizer or just curious? I'd be more than willing to post some pictures for you to show the difference in color saturation if you'd like to see that

zio said:
for all of you that have used a circular polarized filter...

1. could they be used to take pictures of just about anything to enhance the colors?

Anything that has glare. You will see the most effect in bright sunlight, but if you look closely you'll even notice the effect on heavy overcast days. I try to always use one when shooting color landscapes, even in the shade and overcast. I've noticed that green foliage comes out very bluish on overcast days; with the polarizer it's a much more lush green.

2. do they work better with color or b&w film?

It works exactly the same. Only your film is different. Obviously it can't increase color saturation on BW film, but it may darken the tonality of your subject. Also it will darken the blue sky creating increased contrast between the sky and clouds. This can be handy when using BW and you don't want to use a red or orange filter to increase cloud/sky contrast. Red and orange filters also darken green foliage, and you may not want that effect. Combine a red #25 and a polarizer for very dramatic BW skies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back