Quick Question!!

Dhlomo--7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I developed my film through a lab and these are the result that I got.
All 36 shots came out like this. I am assuming that it was either rewinding mistake or there was an issue with the camera
They were shot with Nikon FM2, film is Kodak Portra 800.

0703001900362207031.jpg

Appears to be a light leak coming from the door of the camera. What condition is the seal foam in? Is this the first roll shot with a new (to you) camera?

Hello, I developed my film through a lab and these are the result that I got.
All 36 shots came out like this. I am assuming that it was either rewinding mistake or there was an issue with the camera
They were shot with Nikon FM2, film is Kodak Portra 800.

View attachment 257676
Are the colors and patterns the same in every frame?

Appears to be a light leak coming from the door of the camera. What condition is the seal foam in? Is this the first roll shot with a new (to you) camera?
Camera was repaired few weeks ago, and yes it is a new camera for me. The lab responded that it might be a rewinding issue. They will send me a black and white results soon which is taken with the same camera, so if they come out like this one, then the camera must have an issue.

Are the colors and patterns the same in every frame?
No, they are all different. Some of them are darker than the others and grainier.

Looks like stress marks on the film that sometimes happens when you rewind the film in reverse direction.

User manual illustration:

1656973015069.png

That's what it is, caused by extreme tension when winding/rewinding.
YNLW1qy.jpg
Ah, I'm so upset this happened. It was a wedding film for my friend...
Thank you so much for the info. It is really helpful!!

Last edited:
Probably not this because you sent it out to get developed, and many people have said otherwise. But I’ve had similar things happen when using exhausted fixer. I threw out 4 rolls that looked like that before I figured it out. I took a roll that had been like that for a couple days and put it in the fixer for a few more minutes and bam all the streaks gone.

Probably not this because you sent it out to get developed, and many people have said otherwise. But I’ve had similar things happen when using exhausted fixer. I threw out 4 rolls that looked like that before I figured it out. I took a roll that had been like that for a couple days and put it in the fixer for a few more minutes and bam all the streaks gone.

Scotty and I (and most likely some others here) have been in the photo industry (he still is), so this is not something that unusual in our experience (mine was 25 years ago).
When the film is wound against its natural curvature it causes stress on the gel and backing ... though you are correct in that it something similar can be produced through incorrect small tank development agitation ... in this case a lab would be using a continouseroller machine (I am assuming they are not using simple reel tank).

Last edited:
Scotty and I (and most likely some others here) have been in the photo industry (he still is), so this is not something that unusual in our experience (mine was 25 years ago).
When the film is wound against its natural curvature it causes stress on the gel and backing ... though you are correct in that it something similar can be produced through incorrect small tank development agitation ... in this case a lab would be using a continouseroller machine (I am assuming they are not using simple reel tank).
Yeah haha, Your definitely more experienced then me. Interesting to know that though!

over development in small tank ... a little different

overdevsprockets.jpg
Not quite what I meant. I didn’t mean overdevelopment, I meant under-fixed/not fixed long enough in exhausted fixer

Not quite what I meant. I didn’t mean overdevelopment, I meant under-fixed/not fixed long enough in exhausted fixer
Just realized he is using portra and I’m thinking in black and white! Oops!

Most reactions

Back