Quiet Forest

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a shot I took in the Arapahoe National Forest. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
forest.jpg

It's discouraging when no one comments on your pictures. It happens to me sometimes too. I try to include details with my posts, including the camera/lens settings. I usually won't comment or rate a picture post if there's no text to go with it. I'm thinkin' "jeez, put a little effort into engaging me in a dialog about your art."

Your picture is nice. Not great, unfortunately, just nice. I like the water exposure time, that looks really good. But the rest of the scene is kinda meh. The tree on the right with the bright leaves looks more interesting than other parts of the image, but you cropped/composed it off at the top. No doubt there are many more composition choices in that scene, so I hope you'll work it again sometime and share more.

Jim

Some people are busy and just need a little time to respond.
I like it. Although am a newbie, to me the 2 logs just draw my eye and cut the rest of the photo.
Can it be taken so logs are at a different angle?
Nice exposures though.

It's discouraging when no one comments on your pictures. It happens to me sometimes too. I try to include details with my posts, including the camera/lens settings. I usually won't comment or rate a picture post if there's no text to go with it. I'm thinkin' "jeez, put a little effort into engaging me in a dialog about your art."

Your picture is nice. Not great, unfortunately, just nice. I like the water exposure time, that looks really good. But the rest of the scene is kinda meh. The tree on the right with the bright leaves looks more interesting than other parts of the image, but you cropped/composed it off at the top. No doubt there are many more composition choices in that scene, so I hope you'll work it again sometime and share more.

Jim
Hi Jim- thanks for the positive feedback. I will include more info with the work if you believe it will engage audiences more. I left this site a while back because I thought most conversation was off-topic rather than on the photography.

For this shot I was hoping to focus on the many lines formed by the fallen/standing trees. That's why I centered the falls as opposed to throwing it to the right or left. I used fairly heavy vignetting to further draw the eye straight to it- hoping the viewer would enjoy the falls and then take the lines around the photo. Cheers again for the comments.

• ƒ/11.0
  • 24.0 mm
  • 8 sec
  • ISO 100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some people are busy and just need a little time to respond.
I like it. Although am a newbie, to me the 2 logs just draw my eye and cut the rest of the photo.
Can it be taken so logs are at a different angle?
Nice exposures though.

Hi Nancy- not trying to be pushy, sorry about that. Above is another angle and explanation.

No problem. I have only posted a couple of photos, and I know I am always anxious for someone to reply.
I like the 2 one better. Again, nice exposures..

The second one is a lot better IMO.

The first shot get kinda lost as the waterfall is pretty small band in the whole frame (maybe about 1/5th of the image). In the second this is reversed and its a much bolder, stronger composition. The one tree at the top sets the scene and leads our eye in to the other logs across the falls where they are a bit lost in the first.

My only critisism in the second would be that I'd have liked to have seen the two foreground rocks entirely (they are cut off atm) and IMO would have been a better foreground anchoring point. Good job though, I do like it.

I think the vignetting is a little heavy-handed on both photos. I know you did it intentionally, but there are other tools to draw the eye that could be used either in place of the vignette or in concert with a more subtle vignette. In that first shot especially, I feel like there's a spotlight pointing straight down the middle of the frame, which seems really out of place in a nice nature shot.

Just my two cents. Otherwise I really think they're pretty shots, and you did a great job capturing the motion of the water with the slow shutter speed. :)

I think the vignetting is a little heavy-handed on both photos. I know you did it intentionally, but there are other tools to draw the eye that could be used either in place of the vignette or in concert with a more subtle vignette. In that first shot especially, I feel like there's a spotlight pointing straight down the middle of the frame, which seems really out of place in a nice nature shot.

Just my two cents. Otherwise I really think they're pretty shots, and you did a great job capturing the motion of the water with the slow shutter speed. :)

Thanks, Brian- Yes, I agree with you. I'm still learning the best way to PP my landscape shots...I'll find the balance eventually!

Most reactions

Back