Quite Possibly the Sexiest 180mm in Existence.

This has OS and it's 2/3 stop faster...

Even though the chances of using the lens at F/2.8 at 1:1 is very slim, it should definitely help with the light loss at 1:1 and hunting issues with the last one.

Mark

Right, not at 1:1... It just makes it that much nicer as a regular tele.

I was hoping you said the sexiest 180 cm tall girl.

This has OS and it's 2/3 stop faster...

Even though the chances of using the lens at F/2.8 at 1:1 is very slim, it should definitely help with the light loss at 1:1 and hunting issues with the last one.

Mark

Macro lenses don't maintain their maximum aperture at 1:1 anyway, do they? So would it even be possible?

Correct. So, no. But, this extra 2/3 (1/3?) stop will allow the lens to be that same amount more bright at whatever it degrades to.

Mark

Looks like a pretty nice lens, although for my needs, my Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro is more than enough lens for me, when I need more reach, that's what I have the 70-200 f2.8 for.

Destin said:
Macro lenses don't maintain their maximum aperture at 1:1 anyway, do they? So would it even be possible?

If the effective focal length is allowed to go down as the lens focuses closer (very common), that can mitigate the loss of effective aperture. A 60mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, which focuses with a traditional lengthening of the lens barrel, loses effective aperture down to f/5.6 when the lens is fully extended. Same with my Tamron 90mm f/2.8. But, this new 180 is an internal focusing design,and I suspect that the loss of effective aperture will be relatively minimal and that the designers are going to allow the effective focal length to decrease, as a way to mitigate loss of effective aperture. Beginning with a 180mm at Infinity, there's quite a bit of "room" so to speak to allow for some focal length loss in exchange for keeping the effective aperture "brighter" than otherwise. At least this is what I think they'll do.

It would be nice if Sigma would come out with the full,true,complete specifications for this lens, such as its weight, and its magnification ratios,and its effective f/stop at various magnification ratios,etc.

It would be nice if Sigma would come out with the full,true,complete specifications for this lens, such as its weight, and its magnification ratios,and its effective f/stop at various magnification ratios,etc.

And the price! The 150mm 2.8 OS Macro is already so nice for $1100... I'm thinking they won't get away with charging too much more for another 30mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back