What's new

Radio transmitter and receiver. Looking for advice

Stephen.C

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 9, 2010
Messages
434
Reaction score
8
Location
Boston MA/Columbus OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys!
Havn't really posted on TPF in a while, but thought I'd ask a question.
I got my Sb-600 a few days ago, and I need a radio slave so i can put my flash X amount of feet away. Probably no more than 20 ft away, maybe 15.
I would like I-TTL, but I would also like to keep the price under 200 bucks, so I know the Pocket Wizards are out of the question.
The Nikon Su-800 is an option, but only if there isnt a good option for less money.
If I cant keep it under 200 / my job doesnt want to work me alot ( I'm 16, just had my first day today ) I'll probably buy the Cactus V4's even though I would have to always shoot Manual.

Thanks for the help guys!
 
Won't happen for $200...

I ended up going with the RF-602's myself, manual mode isn't as bad as you might think.
 
I bought some Paul C. Buff CST/CSRB combo and it works good for me.

I got my set used on ebay for $150. It came with 1 CST and 2 CSRBs
 
Now with the Cybersync's...Are they TTL? 150 is alot for no TTL. The Cactus V4's are only 50 bucks.
 
TTL is great for setting your flash to Auto mode, but it's not required. The only option I know of for RF triggering and maintaining TTL is Pocket Wizards. I also think they just came out with a Nikon compatibility. I do not believe the D3000 is Commander Mode compatibile, which means you cannot shoot OCF straight out of the box. I believe the SU-800 will be required for you to have TTL and OCF in the same set-up. Correct me if I'm wrong.......... me amigo, Jose, is sitting beside me tonight.
 
Why are pocket wizards so expen$ive?? I want to get something cheap to just experiment with OCF around the house...what about the Cowboy Flash trigger/transmitter on eBay for ~$22? Is something like this worth it just to play around with?
 
Get the Cybersyncs, you won't regret it, they are more expensive that the Cactus but you are paying the extra money for reliability, I've had the Cybersyncs for a year now and I have not had a miss fire with them yet, I can't say the same about the Cactus V4, which I had before the Cybersyncs, they wouldn't fire about 20% of the time, which is really bad in my opinion.
 
I can only vouch for the Cybersync's for RF triggering. I did quite a bit of research beforehand and the PCB stuff reigned. I could not justify PWs and at the time they did not offer a Nikon TTL compatibility. To be honest, don't get all caught up with the TTL hype. It's good and convienent, but not essential. The Cybersync's have yet to fail me other than the occassional 'went to sleep' syndrome. A simple press on the CST transmitter (hotshoe mounted) to activate all flashes will avoid this simple inconvienence.
 
I can only vouch for the Cybersync's for RF triggering. I did quite a bit of research beforehand and the PCB stuff reigned. I could not justify PWs and at the time they did not offer a Nikon TTL compatibility. To be honest, don't get all caught up with the TTL hype. It's good and convienent, but not essential. The Cybersync's have yet to fail me other than the occassional 'went to sleep' syndrome. A simple press on the CST transmitter (hotshoe mounted) to activate all flashes will avoid this simple inconvienence.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have had them for a little less than a year, and they have served me so damn well.

You won't regret it.
 
Do not worry about the TTL too much. TTL is based off of what your camera calculates and determines the flash needs to be. For special OCF, the camera will not know what you are trying to accomplish. Put the flash on manual and take two minutes to set-up the shot.

Good luck!
 
I also am happy with my Cybersyncs. I haven't used anything else to compare it to, but for my light indoors use, I haven't had any issues.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom