Raja

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious to see what you think... intentionally very "grainy"

$grainweb.jpg

I like it Charlie, I've been playing around with "grain" lately on some plants I've been shooting and this is a great use of it, it gives it a very graphic feel to it nicely done!

It is a technically excellent photograph of a cat. There seems to be some minor issue with the way the grey transitions to white background in the lower right (top edge of the cat) which bothers me, but only slightly. A similar issue appears on top of the head, but that one doesn't bother me at all. I don't know what's going on, it could be simply TPF stomping clumsily around in the higher tones.

The grain does seem to play well with the textures of the fur and nose, it's an interesting choice and one I certainly can find no objection to.

It is a technically excellent photograph of a cat. There seems to be some minor issue with the way the grey transitions to white background in the lower right (top edge of the cat) which bothers me, but only slightly. A similar issue appears on top of the head, but that one doesn't bother me at all. I don't know what's going on, it could be simply TPF stomping clumsily around in the higher tones.

The grain does seem to play well with the textures of the fur and nose, it's an interesting choice and one I certainly can find no objection to.

The transition areas you speak of are ruffled fur that is outside of the DOF. Thank you!

I like it Charlie, I've been playing around with "grain" lately on some plants I've been shooting and this is a great use of it, it gives it a very graphic feel to it nicely done!

Thanks Judy... I like the way it turned out. Usually I prefer to use flash with the cats... and didn't on this one. I actually shot through two steps of the upstairs staircase, while I was heading down to the basement.

I shot it handheld at 1/13 of a second shutter speed. I am surprised it came out as well as it did (280mm FL - 70-200 with 1.4 TC).

Here is another version with EXIF intact this time....

$!_DSC2642-sepia1web.jpg

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/.../49402d1373252680-raja-_dsc2642-sepia1web.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 247.3 KB
Creation date: 7/7/2013 00:59
Last modification: 7/7/2013 21:05
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (http://www.nikon.com)
Camera: NIKON D800
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Dimension: 1200 x 869 px (1 MP)
Focal length: 280 mm (equiv. 280 mm)
Aperture: F4
Exposure time: 1/13" (-0.67 EV)
ISO speed rating: 2000/34°
Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Manual
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Your Welcome Charlie.

I personally hate cats but I love the photo. Good job Charlie.

Nothing says legitimate photography more than sepia and shaved negative carrier edge faked in PS.

No - I much prefer the original. The sepia detracts from it's best feature, the high key contrast.

Nice. To further the high-key look, I'd lighten the fur in the lower right, and maybe even around the edges of the head, but that might be a different image entirely.

Nothing says legitimate photography more than sepia and shaved negative carrier edge faked in PS.

No - I much prefer the original. The sepia detracts from it's best feature, the high key contrast.

Girlfriend likes the sepia... it is her cat, therefore SEPIA is good! ;) lol!

Nice. To further the high-key look, I'd lighten the fur in the lower right, and maybe even around the edges of the head, but that might be a different image entirely.

Thanks Ken.. I thought about a mild white vignette, but I never cared for vignettes much. I may have to take another look at that though.. appreciate it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back