random pics for c&c with my first slr

These pictures don't do much for me. They all seem very snap-shotish with the exception of 1, 4, 5 & 6. In those pictures you're heading in the right direction...Get out and shoot more of whats around you instead of guns and action figures. Can't really say much more than that. Exposure is off. Composition is no good. You're subjects are boring IMO.

They're snap shots. What do you want from us (not being snarky)? Are you trying to learn something here? What is your goal with these?
They have poor composition, looks like several are taken through glass or something? they're not really sharp because of it. They've got white balance issues; a few have focus issues, exposure issues... They don't tell me anything about what these things are making the shooter feel or see or... HOWEVER if you are trying to learn something they may have a LOT of value... We just don't have any clue where you are going here.

I agree with PictureBox. #1 is a pretty typical shot, but poorly composed (see that line at the top), is not exposed properly imo, and overall just doesn't mesh well with the chosen angle. #4 is properly exposed, but again the angle is a poorly chosen one for the subject. I wont comment on the others other then they look like photos that you would expect to be taken with a cellphone.

Try to focus on being creative, telling a story, and shooting properly. Try new angles, shoot things you normally wouldn't, and make sure that your exposure is right. Even I am learning that composition skills come primarily with time and practice, so focus on the others and you'll likely get better composition along the way. Just keep shooting.

First thing first learn to hold the camera straight.

I'll try to post some c&c later on

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

WEll, I am not a PRO far from it but like what was stated, Go out and take pictures of anything that moves you, tells a story, just keep taking pics. You will see for yourself what looks good and what does not.
Know your camera, read your manual over and over, Practice Practice

After all this is your first

What camera do you have and what lens are you using?

WEll, I am not a PRO far from it but like what was stated, Go out and take pictures of anything that moves you, tells a story, just keep taking pics. You will see for yourself what looks good and what does not.
Know your camera, read your manual over and over, Practice Practice

After all this is your first

What camera do you have and what lens are you using?

First off thank you for the kind C&C. I just got a canon rebel xs eos with a EF-s 18-55 lens kit

From the Oxford dictionary -

snapshot - an informal photograph taken quickly, typically with a small handheld camera

And from Wikipedia -

A snapshot is popularly defined as a photograph that is "shot" spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent. Snapshots are commonly considered to be technically "imperfect" or amateurish--out of focus or poorly framed or composed. The term derives from the snap shot of hunting.

There is no thought to the composition of the images. Here is my favorite link on the composition basics: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

There is no creative use of the exposure triangle to get proper exposure or to control the image. The exposure is off on all but 1. Focus is lacking on most of them. There is no control or thought put into them. They are just random snaps of things.

You are at the beginning of a long and wonderful journey. Did I mention LONG? There is A LOT for you to learn now, grasshopper!
Start with the link on good composition I gave you. EVERYONE-even a cheap crappy point and shoot can make some pretty amazing images if you use good composition.
Composition is something you can take months and months and months to work with and never stop learning new things. I'm a FIRM believer that EVERY photographer from the newest to the most seasoned should do a FULL study on composition at least once a year. I do it whenever I run out of inspiration and I learn something new or find a new way to see things every time I do it. There is much more advanced stuff to composition too, but the basics are always what I come back to every time.

Then you need to begin learning about exposure-the exposure triangle. How it works to create proper exposure of the image as well as how it works creatively to produce the image you envision in your head on the film or sensor. Digital Photograph School has some great tutorials to start you out here: Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

As you travel along this long and winding road post your questions and your images for critique. When you do post images please tell us what you are working on (aperture, depth of field, focus, composition, etc...) so we know what to help you with most. Please include your settings with any images if at all possible. If you don't know what the settings are you can right click on an image and go to the details tab. We also need to know the mode you shot in (auto, TV, AV, P, M...) when you are working on exposure.

You've received great advice here.... if you follow it, I bet you'll look back at these in two months and ask yourself "What was I thinking?"

I bet you'll look back at these in two months and ask yourself "What was I thinking?"

And don't leave the forum if you get direct and "rude" advice. Some people are very very direct and that's a GOOD thing because if you take it to heart, you can learn a lot. Pull up a chair, stick around, take some shots, read, study, learn, compose, post and grow.

Good luck.

There is no thought to the composition of the images. Here is my favorite link on the composition basics: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

There is no creative use of the exposure triangle to get proper exposure or to control the image. The exposure is off on all but 1. Focus is lacking on most of them. There is no control or thought put into them. They are just random snaps of things.

You are at the beginning of a long and wonderful journey. Did I mention LONG? There is A LOT for you to learn now, grasshopper!
Start with the link on good composition I gave you. EVERYONE-even a cheap crappy point and shoot can make some pretty amazing images if you use good composition.
Composition is something you can take months and months and months to work with and never stop learning new things. I'm a FIRM believer that EVERY photographer from the newest to the most seasoned should do a FULL study on composition at least once a year. I do it whenever I run out of inspiration and I learn something new or find a new way to see things every time I do it. There is much more advanced stuff to composition too, but the basics are always what I come back to every time.

Then you need to begin learning about exposure-the exposure triangle. How it works to create proper exposure of the image as well as how it works creatively to produce the image you envision in your head on the film or sensor. Digital Photograph School has some great tutorials to start you out here: Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

As you travel along this long and winding road post your questions and your images for critique. When you do post images please tell us what you are working on (aperture, depth of field, focus, composition, etc...) so we know what to help you with most. Please include your settings with any images if at all possible. If you don't know what the settings are you can right click on an image and go to the details tab. We also need to know the mode you shot in (auto, TV, AV, P, M...) when you are working on exposure.

Hmmm... composition before the technical? So she will have well composed OOF under/overexposed photos? Cool! We definitely differ on that... but that is what is cool about TPF! lol! (j/k)!

Most reactions

Back