Rank my skill...

OpticMemory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
opticmemory.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So.. I've had 2 solid month's of learning photography... I would like to know what level I am at.. (yes laughable.. i know.. considering so many veterans with years of experience on this community)..
I do have some Photoshop knowledge as well...

Please rate me on the scale of 1 to 5.. which 1 is the described as a "pile of garbage" and 5 as "so far so good"

Therefore, may I please ask of your critique regarding my "photography" and "post-processing" skills based on my photos.

Thanks in advance...

(note: i do not mind the bashing as long as you explain why it is pile of garbage.. this way I can learn from it and also it wouldn't be just a waste of your time. win-win right :))

photo #1
$Mar-21-12.jpg

Photo #2
$de-loreans.jpg

Photo #3
$life-is-beautiful-graffiti.jpg

Photo #4
$old-design-building.jpg

Photo #5
$WGimages-1-12.jpg

Photo #6
$WGimages-1-20.jpg

Photo #7
$WGimages-1-24.jpg

If 5 is "so far so good" then I'd put you as a 5. Everyone shows different levels of improvement over different timeframes, and as long as your putting time and effort into improving, your "so far so good" in my book. As for your photos, many of them appear to not have really been thought out in creative terms. #3, #4, and #7 are the best of the lot imo because they show some creativity. Compare them to #1 which seems like a snapshot and I really don't get a creative vibe or defined subject out of it.

I can't say how far you've come because I am not largely familiar with your photos, but as long as your working on it, your going the right direction! Just keep shooting, and maybe take a bit more time to think about your photos, ask yourself what you want to be the subject, and how you can achieve the look you see in your mind.

As for post processing, I really don't see much evidence of it being needed in most of your photos. The only one which seems like you would need it achieve the look you wanted, a vignette, would be #7. When you can, always try to capture the photo you want with your camera, use PP as a tool, but don't depend on it 100% to get the shot the way you want.

Toga

Last edited:
... how you can achieve the look you see in your mind.

honestly.. projecting what I see in my mind into the shot is the most difficult part... i literally go through hundreds before I find a shot that's "ok"... lol

Thanks Toga for your advice.

If 1 is the worst photography I've ever seen, and 10 is the best, you're a 3, which is actually really really good considering your experience. If I were to rank you with other 2 month photographers: a 9. Why? Because you're not giving in to the faddish and horrible editing styles and mostly because the spectrum of stuff you're shooting is so broad. You seem to be shooting everything you see and doing pretty good at it considering your experience. Keep shooting!

Photo #2, the cars remind me of seagulls. It made me smile haha

The lines and shapes in #4 grab me

But yeah, you have some interesting ideas and I'm sure you can see development in your own work, so keep it up!

If 1 is the worst photography I've ever seen, and 10 is the best, you're a 3, which is actually really really good considering your experience. If I were to rank you with other 2 month photographers: a 9. Why? Because you're not giving in to the faddish and horrible editing styles and mostly because the spectrum of stuff you're shooting is so broad. You seem to be shooting everything you see and doing pretty good at it considering your experience. Keep shooting!

Thanks Scorpion Tyr... I am shooting anything and everything for now as I am still not sure what to really focus into... i'm just absorbing any info i can get my hands on.

Photo #2, the cars remind me of seagulls. It made me smile haha

The lines and shapes in #4 grab me

But yeah, you have some interesting ideas and I'm sure you can see development in your own work, so keep it up!

Thanks Michael.

Your OK. I like #3 best. For 2 months - good work. Keep blasting away.

... how you can achieve the look you see in your mind.

honestly.. projecting what I see in my mind into the shot is the most difficult part... i literally go through hundreds before I find a shot that's "ok"... lol

And you should expect to, at least to a degree. Many people consider that, above all else, the mark of a good photographer is the ratio of how many shots they end up taking to how many "good" shots they take. A fancy camera will only get a person so far, and it certainly doesn't make the photograph, you do. My advice would just be to take more time with your photos, how to render them the way you want will come to you eventually so long as you know your camera well.

Also, for the most part you can expect to see some excelled improvement once you find your niche. After I picked up my T3i I went through a period of shooting everything and anything for about two months, and then I started exploring wildlife photography. My photos saw a huge jump in overall quality. I imagine it was due to my being more interested in the subjects and enjoying the challenge of having to walk around for hours just to get that one opportunity for a great shot with a great subject.

Last edited:
Dont worry so much right now. Youre still new and developing. It takes time. But so far so good. Images are not framed great but do have some intersting stuff in them. Keep it up and try to have fun.

I would be interested in seeing the Exif data on these shots... if you would care to post it. Or even better.. do you have any photos online with the metadata still intact

I will second good progress so far. Keep shooting lots of things till you find something you love. I like the abstract potential of #4, dont be afraid to go even more off kilter!

You're on the right track as everyone else has mentioned. If your like me, you're looking for specific things about each photo.

I like the feeling of it but it doesn't seem to really tell me anything. I think you could've maybe tried a longer shutter, on a tripod, to get the cars headlight to streak. Maybe suggesting a busy street with lots of movement? Just an idea. Seems like there is some dead space on top. Maybe could've gotten lower to the ground?

Not level. I think I would've like to seen the full back end of the car on the right, since that's what's in focus.

I like it. It shows the art well. Lighting and editing are good. It would be interesting to see how the sunset line interacts with it at different times.

I like the lines and shapes. I't kinda a "old" and "new" thing going on. To be super picky, I wish the top of the foreground building was parallel with the frame like it is on the bottom. Might be able to tweak that in post?

Seems a titch blurry. The guy's expression is kinda lame (not your fault though). I kinda want to see more of the scene too. I don't know if that thing he is driving is 3ft long or if it keeps going.

Without knowing the shot details of this one it seems like you could've went with a higher shutter speed to help freeze the action more. (girls hand is blurred from waving) I like the composition and treatment. I also would've liked to see the blonde's face, since I would guess she is the "Queen" and the younger girl is probably the "Princess". (That's a total guess? Not a pageant guy. haha)

Don't have much to say. Colors are nice. Comp is good. It doesn't say much, but I don't think a fire hydrant has much to say anyway. Woulda been funny to catch a dog using it for restroom. Ha!

You are where most people are at your stage. You are reacting to and shooting what you happen to find around you.

For the most part accomplished experienced photographers leave the house with a plan, they know where they are going, they know what they are looking for, they have the right equipment in their hand, they have planned for location, light and content before they even leave the house.
They have the pictures they want to come home with in their head and have planned how they are going to achieve them, before they leave the house.

It's a journey...there are no shortcuts....keep shooting.

Your OK. I like #3 best. For 2 months - good work. Keep blasting away.

Thanks Slackercruster

Dont worry so much right now. Youre still new and developing. It takes time. But so far so good. Images are not framed great but do have some intersting stuff in them. Keep it up and try to have fun.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind DiskoJoe

I would be interested in seeing the Exif data on these shots... if you would care to post it. Or even better.. do you have any photos online with the metadata still intact

here it is:
Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3Photo 4Photo 5
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2iCamera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2iCamera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2iCamera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2iCamera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2i
F-Stopf/4.5F-Stopf/4F-Stopf/5.6F-Stopf/4F-Stopf/4
Exposure time1 secExposure time1/125 secExposure time1/50 secExposure time1/200 secExposure time1/50 sec
ISO SpeedISO-100ISO SpeedISO-100ISO SpeedISO-100ISO SpeedISO-100ISO SpeedISO-100
Flash ModeNo flashFlash ModeNo flashFlash ModeNo flashFlash ModeNo flashFlash ModeNo flash
Exposure ProgramManualExposure ProgramManualExposure ProgramManualExposure ProgramManualExposure ProgramManual
White BalanceAutoWhite BalanceAutoWhite BalanceAutoWhite BalanceAutoWhite BalanceAuto

Photo 6Photo 7
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2iCamera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2i
F-Stopf/5.6F-Stopf/5
Exposure time1/50 secExposure time1/200 sec
ISO SpeedISO-100ISO SpeedISO-100
Flash ModeNo flashFlash ModeNo flash
Exposure ProgramManualExposure ProgramManual
White BalanceAutoWhite BalanceManual

I will second good progress so far. Keep shooting lots of things till you find something you love. I like the abstract potential of #4, dont be afraid to go even more off kilter!

Thanks spacefuzz.

You're on the right track as everyone else has mentioned. If your like me, you're looking for specific things about each photo.

I like the feeling of it but it doesn't seem to really tell me anything. I think you could've maybe tried a longer shutter, on a tripod, to get the cars headlight to streak. Maybe suggesting a busy street with lots of movement? Just an idea. Seems like there is some dead space on top. Maybe could've gotten lower to the ground?

Not level. I think I would've like to seen the full back end of the car on the right, since that's what's in focus.

I like it. It shows the art well. Lighting and editing are good. It would be interesting to see how the sunset line interacts with it at different times.

I like the lines and shapes. I't kinda a "old" and "new" thing going on. To be super picky, I wish the top of the foreground building was parallel with the frame like it is on the bottom. Might be able to tweak that in post?

Seems a titch blurry. The guy's expression is kinda lame (not your fault though). I kinda want to see more of the scene too. I don't know if that thing he is driving is 3ft long or if it keeps going.

Without knowing the shot details of this one it seems like you could've went with a higher shutter speed to help freeze the action more. (girls hand is blurred from waving) I like the composition and treatment. I also would've liked to see the blonde's face, since I would guess she is the "Queen" and the younger girl is probably the "Princess". (That's a total guess? Not a pageant guy. haha)

Don't have much to say. Colors are nice. Comp is good. It doesn't say much, but I don't think a fire hydrant has much to say anyway. Woulda been funny to catch a dog using it for restroom. Ha!

Thanks for the critique jcskeeter.

You are where most people are at your stage. You are reacting to and shooting what you happen to find around you.

For the most part accomplished experienced photographers leave the house with a plan, they know where they are going, they know what they are looking for, they have the right equipment in their hand, they have planned for location, light and content before they even leave the house.
They have the pictures they want to come home with in their head and have planned how they are going to achieve them, before they leave the house.

Thanks MReid.. will keep on the focus..

+1

I see real promise in 4. There are a number of interesting things going on in there. Oftentimes the difference between a lucky shot and someone who is going to be good at this is whether or not you can say why the shot appealed to you, why you composed it the way you did, and touch on at least a few of the things there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back