Rare Bird

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A rare bird for this area. It's a great cormorant. Another photographer pointed it out to me as I walked into the area at Myakka River State Park. Granted, it's not a great shot of it, it was far away and h.h. I did my best to steady the shot.
11142347-studio.jpg

Interesting looking bird, never heard of this one.....

Interesting looking bird, never heard of this one.....
Neither have I until it was pointed out to me. I was like, "A great what?!"

Nice shot! That's my challenge, they always seem to be just out of range.
My problem is holding the camera perfectly still zoomed out to 600 mm and the subject being around 40 or more meters away. I may start carrying my tripod on my bike.

May I ask it it much larger than an every day Cormorant Kirk?

I would suggest a mono pod if the tripod is a pain to carry around- I have a Gitzo Carbon Fibre monopod it weights hardly anything and it came from Amazon- sits on my backpack and I hardly know it's there :)

Les :)

PS you have PM

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
May I ask it it much larger than an every day Cormorant Kirk?

I would suggest a mono pod if the tripod is a pain to carry around- I have a Gitzo Carbon Fibre monopod it weights hardly anything and it came from Amazon- sits on my backpack and I hardly know it's there :)

Les :)

PS you have PM
Looked to be the same size to me but "allaboutbirds.org" says they ae a little larger than a double crested cormorant. I actually have a monopod weighing right at 1.19 lbs. but I don't use it because I've found that the lens' VR holds the subject as still, if not better than a monopod because of how it actually locks the picture completely still ... if you are still enough that is and I usually am. I usually drop down and rest an elbow on a bent knee to steady it and fire off a few rounds, refocus, shoot a few more to assure I get one clean shot. That usually works great but not this day. The combination of the monopod and VR might've helped with a long distance shot like this so I'm going to start carrying my monopod on the bikes rack where ever I go, just in case. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The shot is certainly good enough. Hadn't heard of it either. Looks like yours is a juvenile

The shot is certainly good enough. Hadn't heard of it either. Looks like yours is a juvenile
Thank you, Donde. I don't know anything about them but it does have that appearance.

Most reactions

Back