RAW format question...for Canon users...

michelejo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelejo.com
This is really basic, I know--I just can't wrap my brain around it.

I used my G2 to take some pics in RAW rather than JPG the other day. First time. There's no resolution setting in the menu in P mode--but the pics turned out similar to lower than the max resolution (which I've always set it to). IOW, they aren't very big--not like when I take them in JPG format and they're 2272*1704, if you know what I mean. I don't understand why...they also turn out that way when I use the Portrait mode.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

TIA!

Your RAW files should be the maximum resolution of the camera. Most cameras default to jpeg when you use an icon mode (like portrait). I don't know if that's the case in Program mode. Try shooting RAW in Tv, Av, or full manual.

The actual image dimentions will be the same whether you're using your max jpg size or RAW. That is the biggest or default that your sensor will allow. RAW, however, will be lossless so your file will be closer to 10-12 megs instead of the 2 meg files your jpegs are.

Hope this helps.

Thanks--I will check into all these things and get back to this thread. I realized I was only looking at them in Zoombrowser...maybe opening them in real software will make a difference. They are all hopelessly over-exposed anyway. :/ Don't know how I did that!

Most reactions

Back