RAW to JPG Conversion

tomhooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thomashooper.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some advice and/or opinions from some of you gurus. I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to process my RAW images. I've gotten comfortable with it and like it. My problem arises when I convert to JPEG format. The image does not convert as sharply as I would like. I know that jpg is a compression format and that you will lose some IQ but it seems that there is a big difference from the sharpened and processed RAW image to the converted image. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do convert at maximum quality. Do I need to change conversion software?

Thanks in advance

Hoop

How are you converting?
Myself I just open the RAW image in photoshop (elements in my case) process and then directly open into editing - no saving as a JPEG stage.
If you are saving and then opening in another program then save as something like a TIFF - then edit the TIFF - that said one save should not nuke your shot that much I would think

I need some advice and/or opinions from some of you gurus. I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to process my RAW images. I've gotten comfortable with it and like it. My problem arises when I convert to JPEG format. The image does not convert as sharply as I would like. I know that jpg is a compression format and that you will lose some IQ but it seems that there is a big difference from the sharpened and processed RAW image to the converted image. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do convert at maximum quality. Do I need to change conversion software?

Thanks in advance

Hoop

Just wondering, if your going through the whole raw process, why not save to psd, do your editting, then finally save to jpeg as the last line of the process?

In any case sharpness is not an issue of a JPEG. A high quality JPEG should be visually indistinguishable from the RAW file. Heck a medium high quality like 7/10 would be too.

Check your save settings to make sure the quality is reasonable. JPEG itself is more likely to generate blocky darks and blues due to the compression long before the image starts getting soft.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back